Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Live bait under float??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to try live minnows as bait soon, but would they not simply tangle/create a mess under your float?

Would that be an issue?
(05-09-2012 10:33 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to try live minnows as bait soon, but would they not simply tangle/create a mess under your float?

Would that be an issue?

Use a split shots or weights then the float.. thats what everyone do.
No, absolutely not. Of course, I'm assuming your talking about slip bobbers and the like???

This is a deadly way to fish when their finnicky, when fishing pressure is high, or when you want to fish hard to fish areas like shallow but thick cat tails etc.

Here is a secret though, well a few of my secrets actually. First, a bigger minnow is better. Second, the more lively the minnow, the better.

Whats big and lively???? Ciscoes. Othe minnows work too, don't get me wrong, but this is my choice.

The next secret??? Instead of one hook, use a palomar knot to attach one hook, but leave a long tag end. Then, add a second hook about 2" apart (totally depends on the size of the minnow though) The bigger, the more gap between hooks.

Then run one hook (the top one) just through the lip of the minnow. The second hook, run just above the tail, but skin hook it carefully. That created a better catch rate, and it keeps the minnow alive alot longer than traditional methods
Check your zone regs, there's a lot of restrictions on using live bait that wasn't caught from the same body of water that you are fishing in. Some locations (TTP for example) have a complete ban on live bait, other than worms.
Mike is right. Minnows are really frowned upon, as are crawfish.
Minnows are the best bait.
Reference URL's