Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Storm Drains (GTA)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone has explored the urban storm drains. I have access to a couple near me but they are all fenced off or have too much vegetation for me to access properly. Ive been to several (I dont want to post location as I didn't catch anything). The ones I have been able to access said no fishing or have no fish in them. Did anyone else have any luck? I didnt even get a bite at these places. Im sure i can circumvent the vegetation with a topwater frog, but bass season hasnt started yet. I'll try again in July and see what happens.
I have fished water retention ponds, some of the older ones in my part of Ottawa, and I have caught carp and bullhead that have established over the years.

I have fished a small park that has very tenuous seasonal feed through a network of culverts and road side ditches to a small lake and found perch, creek chub, shiners and sunfish. I have seen other skittish micros (Black gold fish perhaps) that I have not been able to dial in;

At another local storm drain, I have found a number of dead walleye that have been washed into the system, and seen small fish rising at a distance, with large birds stalking.

I have also heard reports of musky at a water retention pond in Ottawa.

Were there is water there maybe fish.
(06-15-2016 10:33 AM)zippyFX Wrote: [ -> ]I have fished water retention ponds, some of the older ones in my part of Ottawa, and I have caught carp and bullhead that have established over the years.

I have fished a small park that has very tenuous seasonal feed through a network of culverts and road side ditches to a small lake and found perch, creek chub, shiners and sunfish. I have seen other skittish micros (Black gold fish perhaps) that I have not been able to dial in;

At another local storm drain, I have found a number of dead walleye that have been washed into the system, and seen small fish rising at a distance, with large birds stalking.

I have also heard reports of musky at a water retention pond in Ottawa.

Were there is water there maybe fish.

Wow, a musky in a water retention pond is insanity! I figured that in these storm drains I'd have to do "micro-fishing" but my smallest gear is targeted towards crappie. Around em are ponds that are barely larger than a gas station parking lot. they look really promising for fish but I havent caught any. Maybe i need to invest in some ultra light gear haha
I have very few of these ponds in my city but in general for ponds, your best bet to check if there are any fish is a small piece of worm on a small hook(~size 8) under a float.
Reference URL's