Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: kawartha lakes.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In a couple weeks going up to kawartha lakes wondering what I should look for what's in there . If anyone has been would help a lot..
Which lakes or general area Jeff?

OT
(05-15-2012 07:06 AM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Which lakes or general area Jeff?

OT

General area .. trying to hit all of them
I'm not sure what species you are looking for, so....

Carp:

I'd personally recommend Rice and Sturgeon lake. Plenty of pre-baiting, if you can.

I've have had bad results on Balsam - I'm guessing the large fish kill they had a few years back had something to do with it .

Walleye:

Sturgeon, Rice, Skugog and Rice are all fishing well. Currently stained shallow water is fishing well, but I'm guessing that won't last too much longer. Then follow the weedline and try a chartreuse jig and fake minnow or a blue/black hair jig

Bass:

Don't be silly! That's not real fishing!
Hey Jeff

Most of my experience in that area is with Sturgeon Lake and Rice Lake.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=129

http://tony.tonydong.com/fishing/fishmap...kemap.html

Unfortunately little quality shore fishing access is available for the sport species (including the “non real fishing” bass species). Boat with depth finder recommended.

Between the two – walleye is better in Rice (IMO). Try trolling the underwater rail line hump near Tic Island. Minnow baits.

Both have lots of perch – takes a while to find them……………

On Sturgeon - Had best luck for walleye in low light hours on the shoal/drop off to the north of McConnell Island……. Jigs. Or try trolling deep diving plugs and minnow baits between the deep weed line edges in the stretch in front of the Eganridge Inn golf course.

The apparently “non-real” bass fishing is fair to good in both lakes along the edge of the first weed line.

Usually the fish we target here is Muskie in Sturgeon. Sturgeon boasts the highest angler success %/hour for catching this beastie. Troll fast and big at the approx. 15’ weed line edge on south edge of lake between Cedar Glen and Kennedy Bay.

Cheers,

OldTimer
(My Bass comment was a little tongue in cheek - just can't stand all those bright sponsored shirts, high-fiving and yanking the fish into the boat that you see on TV)
They only "Yank" in the USofA................. smile

Most of our shirts here in the Great White North come free in a 24, so ..........the colours are what they are.......... smile again.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Great area
Reference URL's