Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Berkley Grayfite rod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The foreman here at work picked up a whack of fishing gear for a bargain and is looking to sell some of it to recoup some of his costs. He has 2 long rods, an 8"6 Berkley Cherrywood 2 piece downrigger rod and a 10'6" Berkley Grayfite with minimal other info on it, other than 50% graphite rating. I asked if he'd like to keep one or the other, and he liked the cork-handled Grayfite, so I took the Cherrywood. I did a bit of a search online and reviews on the Cherrywood were mixed, but I couldn't find much about the Grayfite one way or another. Now he's offering up the Grayfite and I'm thinking I might do a switch. Anyone out there have experience with them, or know what action/lure weight they have? The Cherrywood is rated up to 2 1/2 ounce lures, so I figured it would be decent for getting some distance next time I fish the Thames, I just don't want to snap it in half. Thanks in advance
Most "downrigger" rods have too soft an action for heavy weight casting purposes. They are designed to produce a good hook set when the release lets go.

The "Grayfite" is not recognizable to me, but at 10'6" long it may be a steelhead/salmon type rod, and may be more suitable - or worse. But the best way to tell would be to rig it up with a dummy weight, and try it.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Try checking some videos on YouTube possibly. They'll show you how they can be used.
Reference URL's