Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: One to ponder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

Each year about now I have, over the last half century+, gone fishing to a series of spots in a nearby watershed.

These spots were shown to me by my father.

Some are easy access, some are a struggle.

All held trout. Most still do. All are pleasing to the soul.

One is unique.

This spot has never in my memory had structures on it. For a while it did have cattle grazing on the flats nearby, but that ended over 30 years ago.

Yet this stretch has non native spring "bulb" flowers growing in clumps here and there - quite near the bank. Daffodils, hyacinth, and tulips have all been represented.

Over time the quantity has slowly waned, and I have not seen any hyacinth for several years now.

On todays outing I did see Daffodils, and the beginnings of some tulips.

[attachment=1402]

I have always wondered who might have planted these, when, and why.

Perhaps I should plant a bunch myself along this stretch come this fall - so that other anglers 50 years from now have something to wonder about.

Cheers,

OldTimer
I've also encountered such anomalies while searching out the "wilder" areas in and

around the GTA. Crocus, daffodils, along with isolated stands of lilacs and forsythia,

reminiscent of a backyard garden with absolutely no sign of buildings or foundation.

Twin rows of large spruce trees are a dead giveaway a driveway was present at one

time, and a good place to start exploring with a metal detector.
Reference URL's