Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Line working it's way into the spool mechanism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

My son's line is getting regularly pulled into the spool mechanism from the back of the spool. I am thinking it has to do with him have some slack line around the reel after he attempts failed hook setting or just reeling in too quick.

I have had this happen to me occasionally but it's more common for him. I picked up a new reel for him as he currently has a gimmicky light up reel that he has out grown.

Just trying to figure out what's going on... 'cause you know kids have lots of patience for line correction during a fishing session...
?

spinning reel I suppose.....?

type of line? (mono or braided)

what pound test?

freshly spooled? or old line from closet?

problem during casting lures?........ or when bait fishing?

is anti-reverse engaged?

is reel compatible with first guide size & spacing to reel rotor?

beer is not involved?
(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]?
!?

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]spinning reel I suppose.....?
Yes.... Low cost kids reel. I have two of them but this only occurs on one.

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]type of line? (mono or braided)

8-10# mono;

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]what pound test?

8-10 pound mono; The kids reel came persppoled for our pleasure with 2 lbs test.... Kids and 2lbs test don't work well; Peeled off all the line on the rods and replace with 8 or 10 lb mono (can not remember which); Some days I am tempted to give them 15 or 20# Tongue

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]freshly spooled? or old line from closet?
It was freshly spooled 2 years ago. No major signs on memory in the line.

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]problem during casting lures?........ or when bait fishing?

Bobber with splitshot and worm.

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]is anti-reverse engaged?
Yes.

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]is reel compatible with first guide size & spacing to reel rotor?

Huh not sure what this means.... Did you just string together some fishing jargon Confused

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]beer is not involved?

That comes after (for me not the kids Smile )
(06-22-2017 02:52 PM)zippyFX Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]?
!?

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]spinning reel I suppose.....?
Yes.... Low cost kids reel. I have two of them but this only occurs on one.

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]type of line? (mono or braided)

8-10# mono;

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]what pound test?

8-10 pound mono; The kids reel came persppoled for our pleasure with 2 lbs test.... Kids and 2lbs test don't work well; Peeled off all the line on the rods and replace with 8 or 10 lb mono (can not remember which); Some days I am tempted to give them 15 or 20# Tongue

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]freshly spooled? or old line from closet?
It was freshly spooled 2 years ago. No major signs on memory in the line.

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]problem during casting lures?........ or when bait fishing?

Bobber with splitshot and worm.

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]is anti-reverse engaged?
Yes.

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]is reel compatible with first guide size & spacing to reel rotor?

Huh not sure what this means.... Did you just string together some fishing jargon Confused

(06-22-2017 01:27 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]beer is not involved?

That comes after (for me not the kids Smile )

I take great care, and pride, in stringing together loquacious, superfluous and quite unrelated fishing jargon,....... and have found that at times it actually makes sense and fools many......... I think…. Perhaps…

Your answers clearly reveal all – the root cause & problem is obvious - you'll need to get a new son.

Tip – don’t take him hunting.

0r……………. just watch him next time for a short while – my guess is that he’s letting slack loops get in behind the rotor cup and it’s getting caught up in the swirly thingee.

Cheers,

OldTimer
I had a talk with my son and he refuses to go. He seemed offended that I asked. My wife has stopped talking to me.

I will keep an eye on his line slack and keep it away from the swirly thingee.

Thanks.
(06-23-2017 09:38 AM)zippyFX Wrote: [ -> ]I had a talk with my son and he refuses to go. He seemed offended that I asked. My wife has stopped talking to me.

I will keep an eye on his line slack and keep it away from the swirly thingee.

Thanks.

No problem, happy to be of assistance.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Reference URL's