Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hamilton/Niagara
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone

I'm coming over for my UK next week and am staying for a week in Hamilton and a week further up towards Niagara.

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice:

1) Can I fish from the shore adequately, is there good depth/structure?
2) What am I fishing for, bass, perch, salmon can I catch Muskie from the shore here?
3) Any preferred methods that work above others?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nathan
There are lots of place to fish along the Niagara. Queenston Docks. Niagara on the lake. Whirlpool.

Good chance for all the species you mentioned.
Hi, thanks for your help.

What is the depth like among that side, is it a gradual slope or deep right off the shore? Just trying to judge what types of lure I'll be needing to use.

Also, any help on what licences I need to purchase for a weeks fishing would be great.

Thanks

N
The bottom is very rocky in most places. The depth gets deep quick. Be prepared for a lot of snags if you cast anything going deep. Most people is the area use centerpin rods and floatfish for trout/Salmon. I cast some Rapala DT-18s and Mepp spinners that seem to work well at a park in Niagra on the Lake but I did not catch anything. I have seen people working worm with light weight just off the main current. You can also hit a local baitshop (I don't know any) and get some live bait and suggestions).

In Ontario all you will need is a freshwater fishing license this will cover you for everything here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-lice...nts-canada
Reference URL's