Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Gotta love perch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a dedicated fisherman and have been for nearly 50 years. I am educated in the field of fish and wildlife and aquaculture. Just became involved in a new program that has been set up to improve fishing in Southern Ontario. I am most excited about creating fishing opportunities in new locations starting with pits and quarries that contain water. We will be studying these sites to determine which would be suitable for stocking to create new shore fishing and tourism opportunities. As a die hard perch fisherman, I am thrilled about stocking some of these ponds with a fast growing strain of local yellow perch. I can taste them already!
Welcome to the OSF forum.........

Sounds great! Look forward to this.

Where can we read/get more information re this program, its management, and game plan? Is it MNR and local government(s) sanctioned?

Cheers,

OldTimer
Hi Old Timer, thanks for the interest.
The Southern Ontario Fisheries Enhancement Initiative is an offshoot of a separate grass roots not-for-profit initiative and supported by both lower tier and upper tier government. There will be more public information about that in December. This initiative has been in the works for just shy of one year. MNRF is involved in the permit process. The majority of properties being assessed are privately held though some are or will become lower tier and mid tier public property. It operates more along the lines of the Nature Conservancy. We work with the government, not for. We will be sharing information with OFAH in regards to all stocking programs.
My job right now is to determine interest and I only just started. I am working with a corporation to establish the first 6 locations. The concept is awesome and I am really looking forward to seeing the results.
There will be regular updates posted on Facebook Southern Ontario Fisheries Enhancement Initiative. A official website is under construction and will be linked to Facebook once up and running.
Like us on Facebook and spread the word. The more interest, the better.
And feel free to fire off questions or potential spots you know of. Having poured over aggregate resource data available for pits and quarries, there are many that are known but not included in the official data.

And sorry for the delayed reply.
Gavin
Reference URL's