Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: A few bad apples
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I live next to two conservation areas that are both popular fishing spots and help manage one. It is a beautiful spot with a good sized trout pond but not a day goes by that I do not have to go and pick up garbage left behind by fishermen. The other day I picked an empty box that holds 12 cans of pop from the brush at the edge of the pond. By the time I walked around I had filled the box with beer cans, beer bottles and broken glass. I had also collected a few bait containers and two discarded packages for lures. This after one quiet weekend. Garbage cans are located at the site.
And this is one of the hurdles I must face when setting up new fishing spots. Property owners, whether private or government held, invariably bring up the issue of misuse and garbage. It is one of the reasons that many properties that used to be accessible to fisherman are no longer and posted as “no trespassing.” It is an unfortunate reality that anyone who appreciates the outdoors should consider. Like the old adage about 10% of the water holds 90% of the fish, a small number of inconsiderate fisherman can spoil it for the whole.

https://www.facebook.com/Southern-Ontari...877994051/
I commend you on your efforts to undo that done by others.

Yes – littering and vandalism by a$$hole anglers, and other self centered uncaring sub human beings, are significant triggers leading to the posting of no trespassing signs on private property……… or no fishing rules on public lands.

You will find a number of past posts on this forum regarding this topic……….. Which include many pictures of mounds of trash picked up by some.

Sadly, I doubt that we will see new legislation or by-laws setting up new harsh penalties for these disgusting activities………. Simply due to the fact that…. “we” cannot afford the cost of associated management systems, policing, processing, and sentencing offenders.

It is highly unlikely that a person already breaking laws with penalties (liquor other than a residence, possibly a DUI charge, vandalism, destruction of private property, etc) is really gonna care much at all about their littering activities.

………… so……………. Boils down to: if you ain’t part of the solution – you ARE part of the problem.

You help, and I help………it’s called “caring”…… how many other members here do so?

As you say “we” are the 90%. - If “we” all picked up – the individual effort would be quite minimal, but the sum of efforts would yield maximum positive results instantly - and long term.

It’s easy to carry a small plastic bag with you for your finds………………. you would be justifiably proud of yourself.

................ worth a ponder.............

Cheers,

OldTimer
For some reason every time i collect the garbage around me before first cast i have better luck fishing Smile
Reference URL's