Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fish ID help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I did heroically took this dead fish from the otter while investigating what is spawning in the marshes.
I do need an idea fish this this is please. The size is close to 14"
[Image: 188532854892594.jpg] [Image: 1d0c90854892674.jpg] [Image: 0dbdcf854892794.jpg]
It's a Gizzard Shad. They spawn in the shallows and river mouths in May/June -ish.

They do get up to about two feet long, but they are herbivores and can live solely on plants ... so they rarely get caught, even though there are thousands of them.

I was hoping to try and catch my lifer later this month, but I guess now may be the time ... I will have to investigate ...
(05-09-2018 06:34 PM)NickP27 Wrote: [ -> ]It's a Gizzard Shad. They spawn in the shallows and river mouths in May/June -ish.

They do get up to about two feet long, but they are herbivores and can live solely on plants ... so they rarely get caught, even though there are thousands of them.

I was hoping to try and catch my lifer later this month, but I guess now may be the time ... I will have to investigate ...

Thanks Nick and yes now is the time. This guys are spawning in the marsh near me.
If you have any luck please let us know how you caught one. I had a couple holed up in my local creek last year and tried just about everything (even green peas on a hook).
I did some research and find out that this variety of shad feed only on plankton and decomposed plant matter.
I doubt it can be targeted with line and a hook Sad casting net might be the only way.
(05-11-2018 07:51 PM)cutuzov Wrote: [ -> ]I did some research and find out that this variety of shad feed only on plankton and decomposed plant matter.
I doubt it can be targeted with line and a hook Sad casting net might be the only way.

Basing some of my Shad hunt off of this video ... no need to cast net.

https://youtu.be/rlTLJjAhyg0
I stand corrected Smile
Roxy, I will let you know and do a write up if I can pull it off...

Have been out twice already trying ... water too dirty to sight fish, but I did get other species ... always have a Plan B.
Need help to ID this baby please

[Image: cfac32876161214.jpg]

[Image: b3edcc876161284.jpg]
Looks like a creek chub. Definitely not a trout. Notice the dark spot at the front base of the dorsal fin.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's