Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: What do you want from this Forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello All,

Last night I did some light reading as I always do before I retire for the evening, and to my surprise I caught a glimpse of a crazy thread on this forum. To my surprise I read that OT and Mb have retired from this site. I have to say, I do not know either of those 2 personally, but I have been a part of this forum off and on since May 2012.
I can definitely say I have learned a lot from both of those guys. I always looked forward to reading OTs posts about the Grand, catching catfish, and smallies. He gave me info that I used for my first saltwater trip and never seemed judgey when I would ask newbie questions. He did bring a lot of positive energy to the site. That was his contribution to the site and if he really does not come back I will for sure miss that! And his constant request for us to smile ☺
As for MB, I respect the dude for the wealth of knowledge and experience he has. He's fished all over the world and has caught hundreds of species, but I wasn't always fan of his writing style. The way I see it, he is a teacher and that's what he wanted to do with the members of this site. He wanted to show the facts, the science, the reasoning behind the fishing. It was his way of contributing, and I learned a lot from him. With that being said fishing for me is not always about facts, reasoning or science. And that brings me to the question in the Subject line

What do you want from this forum?

Two of our top contributers have seemingly left and that does leave a gaping void here. They both left because of the lack of participation so I want to do my part honour these OG's!

To answer my own question, I want to learn from other anglers experiences. I want to share my successes and stories with like minded people. I want to see meet up's happens so we can sometimes share in person. I want ask questions, knowing that there are people on this forum willing to help point me in the right direction. I want ppl to be inspired by what is being shared. I want more members to participate so we can become more than just random people on a forum, we could become a community... All in do time I hope.

What do you want from this forum?

[attachment=1640]
(pic was added for visual appeal)
May 1st, Zone 17
I have learned so much from the contributions of others, especially MB. I am particularly interested in multi-species angling and would love to see a dedicated section to microfishing. I don't know how many other users would be interested in that though. Nonetheless, I will definitely try to be a more active user.
What do you want from this Forum? hmmm... I want to be able to discuss the thing i am passionate about with like-minded people. I like to ask questions without being judged by someone with the you_are_the_stupid_noob attitude. I like to brag about my success from time to time. I want to read occasional reel disassembling or carp fishing how-tos. I really want to hear details like "I tried *** water body this weekend with *** kind of bait weather was **** the result was ***
I do check the forum every day. I don't post much just out of my "modesty" and actually reconsidering this.
I afraid we lost two main contributors to the forum. I observed in last half year or so OT and MB was the only ones posting something at all.
In my opinion the only way to make this particular forum more attractive is to engage more people into sharing there stories, thoughts, questions, reports, "stupid questions" after all.
I suggest everybody who read this will add a fishing report to the appropriate section of the forum. I will do mine right away.
Awesome, thanks for sharing!
Roxy : Ive never really tried micro fishing, but judging by your latest outing it looks fun. What kind of rod and reel set up do you use? This spring I purchased my first ultra light set up.

Cutuzov: I agree! The only way to grow this community is to engage. Not only by adding our own content, but commenting on others as well.! I look forward to reading your next report!

[attachment=1641]
Pic added for visual appeal
Oct 2017 - Zone 20
Bit embarrassed to admit but I caught those beasts on a medium rod with 8lb mono. Was going to head out for catfish but changed my mind last minute and went to a local creek. Just using small hooks (size 16 or so) that people use for trout work really well for a lot of shiners and chub species.
(05-14-2018 11:43 PM)Roxy Wrote: [ -> ]Bit embarrassed to admit but I caught those beasts on a medium rod with 8lb mono. Was going to head out for catfish but changed my mind last minute and went to a local creek. Just using small hooks (size 16 or so) that people use for trout work really well for a lot of shiners and chub species.
Yes they certainly do. If you want to go smaller, try looking in the fly section of a tackle store and see what they have. I know I just bought some # 26 at Cabela's. Those will catch the smaller shiners, daces & sticklebacks. Any smaller than that and you may need to order from the US. LOVE the rudd!!! That one is still on my "must have" list.
I've got some shelled Tanago hooks, but don't really look forward to using them unless I need to. I've still yet to ever catch a darter, so hopefully I'll have the patience this year to try and catch one.
(05-15-2018 12:34 PM)Roxy Wrote: [ -> ]I've got some shelled Tanago hooks, but don't really look forward to using them unless I need to. I've still yet to ever catch a darter, so hopefully I'll have the patience this year to try and catch one.
You and me both. I've caught blackside darters, but I know where Johnnys and Iowas are too, I just need to convince them to bite.
Did you use Tanago hooks for the fathead minnow and stickleback? I've never caught those species before. Really neat fish.
(05-16-2018 05:32 PM)Roxy Wrote: [ -> ]Did you use Tanago hooks for the fathead minnow and stickleback? I've never caught those species before. Really neat fish.
I have caught both species on tanago hooks before (Owner smallest) but the 2 from yesterday were caught with #26 J hooks. The sticklebacks were particularly voracious.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's