Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Ultra light action at local pond
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last weekend I made it out to a local pond/lake in an effort to break in a new ultra light rod I had purchased earlier this spring. I was at the pond by 730 am and the weather was hot and humid. The target was Crappie. I started thee day tossing a 16th ounce jig with a soft plastic nymph and swimming it back to me. I caught an oos Largemouth and tossed it back and promptly changed my presentation. I added a float to my line so I could keep the jig higher in the water column longer and pendulum the jig back to me. I focused my casts towards laydowns, stumps and weeds that I could see. I lost a lot of jigs to tree branches on this day!
I did find one weed bed where I could see a Crappie swimming around and I spent about 20 min casting different soft plastics to. It finally hit my jig when I threw it with small a twitch tail minnow. It ws pretty cool to see the fish dart towards my bait and engulf it!
[attachment=1655]

Next cast I threw it far out into the weed bed and something hit me and cut right through my line before I could set the hook. I immediately knew it was a Pike so I tied on another 16th ounce jig and added a 2 and a half inch swimbait. 2casts later I got hit again. this time it was fish on and fish landed! It was a small Pike.
[attachment=1656]

In total I fished for just under 4 hours, landed 4 fish, and 3 different species.

Gear used:
Rod: 6'6" Diawa spinmatic ultralight
Reel: shimano sienna 1000 size
Line: 6lb mono
Bait: 16th ounce jig tipped with different soft plastics
Nice day on the pond cudos
Always so much fun with a light setup!
Ultralight rods make for fun fiahing even out of smaller fish!
Reference URL's