Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Potato Gun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Don’t try this at home:

So…….. I’m cleanin’ out the garden shed and I come across a potato gun I made for my son over 20 years ago. Actually it was the second one we made (the first one was OK, but I always try harder…) and had a much larger lower back end gas chamber diameter (for more KAPOW) and also a push button barbeque igniter to simplify ignition. I do recall the next door neighbour running over to our back yard the first time we fired this thing (he was a retired fireman from the local fire department) – he thought my BBQ propane tank had exploded!

I was gonna throw it away – but then thought “Wait – maybe it could be used to get some real long distance casts out on the water”.

My lovely lady had unwisely left me alone to my own devices – so I gathered my gear, the potato gun, butchers string, some potatoes and a can of spray Right Guard deodorant (our preferred propellant (high alcohol content))….. off to the river to do some R&D. Oh boy!

I stopped and bought some Pepomint lifesavers on my way – to be a dissolvable release.

Ok – so I set up – get a nice slug of potato jammed in the muzzle. This slug had a loop of butchers cord tied through it with a lifesaver threaded on. I looped the end of my fishing line through the lifesaver then around and back over itself to attach it (the plan being it should release when the lifesaver dissolves in the water). Put the rod in its holder, pointed out over the water, open the bail. Oh boy!

Open the threaded end – spray in some Right Guard – thread end back in – point out over water – push igniter button – KABOOM! – Potato does shoot out – but splits in two and drops my line only about 75 feet way. Obviously - we need a more substantial piece of potato to sustain the launch without splitting. Oh boy!

No problem – I hand carve a MUCH longer piece of potato and prepare all as before…

Open the threaded end – spray in a lot more Right Guard – thread end back in – point out over water – push igniter button – BIG KABOOM!

When the 4lb mono line reached the end of its 120 yard length it snapped with a loud crack. I have no idea where it went.

Maybe I’ll try that balloon thing instead………… I disposed of the potato gun on my way back home.

Cheers,

OldTimer
LOL this made my day, extremely entertaining! I've tried to do distance casts with a slingshot, but this takes the cake!

With a bigger reel, you're on to something! 120 yards! Rock on!!

When the potato reaches the opposite shore, we'll add this to the list of "it sounded good at the time, officer" Tongue

EDIT: this would make a very exciting article...
Thats a Handyman's way of getting in some solid casts! You should have kept it and done some more RnD catch some real boss fish!
(05-30-2012 01:12 AM)Magikarp Wrote: [ -> ]Thats a Handyman's way of getting in some solid casts! You should have kept it and done some more RnD catch some real boss fish!

OldTimer let's get some more RnD.

Red Green would be proud.

[Image: 361vo1.jpg]
OK - maybe it didnt pan out exactly like I had hoped........ but now - I sure know a good way of getting Canadian Geese to bugger off...........

Cheers,

OldTimer
OK................ I've been pondering a different approach on this ............. has anyone got a used skeet launcher, and some model rocket gunpowder engines?

smile....
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Another approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PX74gr...e=youtu.be
I always wanted a potato gun
(03-10-2015 12:07 PM)PUMP KNOWS Wrote: [ -> ]I always wanted a potato gun

So............. go for it:

[attachment=971]

.......smile.
(05-30-2012 01:14 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-30-2012 01:12 AM)Magikarp Wrote: [ -> ]Thats a Handyman's way of getting in some solid casts! You should have kept it and done some more RnD catch some real boss fish!

OldTimer let's get some more RnD.

Red Green would be proud.

[Image: 361vo1.jpg]

Mewahhhh ha ha ha..............

I think I'll need ear protection and a riot shield to test my new enhanced larger prototype in the spring.

...................cool............. stand by................

Grin.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's