Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Just saying hi.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New here and just wanted to introduce myself.

Been born and raised in Toronto and did some fishing since I was younger but did not find much time for it until about 6 or 7 years ago. My sister dated a guy that I bonded with and we fished a bit here and there. They did go their separate ways and I lost my fishing buddy. Recently, my brother in law moved in with us and I've been trying to get him to come fishing with me, and it's been working for the most part.

I enjoy fishing for different species, and eventually want to land a decent sized musky. I've just bought a couple of bait casters and am learning how to cast properly with them(they sure are fun to use).

Places I've fished are Simcoe, Trenton, Hastings, Algonquin, Cambellford and few other places I probably don't remember.

Looking to meet some people and maybe share some experiences.
Welcome aboard! Muskie are not easy, but what's harder is dealing with muskie anglers. No offence intended to anyone who targets them, but some can be a bit elitist. Heaven forbid you should post a picture of one being held incorrectly, and if you admit to one dying (despite their size and ferocity they can be delicate) start shopping for a flak vest. You are, by law, allowed to catch and eat them, but the fastest way to start a fight on most fishing boards is to ask for muskie recipes. Having said that, I hope you have success, and don't be intimidated!

From the locations you listed I'm guessing you're east of Toronto?
Thanks! I have no intention of eating musky. I don't eat any fish I catch, however, my in laws do and I do bring home bass and panfish for them. I do tell them that musky and pike are not good for eating....at least so I'm told.

I'm just on my way home from Trenton did some fishing at dam 1 and lock 3 and got a decent sized gar. Let it go of course but bringing home some rock bass for the others to eat. I met a guy fishing for musky at the dam and he was real nice. Told me where he usually catches them and so on. I didn't feel he was an elitist.

I live in Toronto. North York to be exact. Dufferin/Finch area. I travel this way because of the variety of fish in the water. I like the feeling of not knowing whats on the other end of my line.
Pike can be good eating. Some people just cut them vertically into steaks instead of fillets. Lots of bones to contend with, which is the reason a lot of people shun them.
(07-06-2019 08:12 PM)Dave Bailey Wrote: [ -> ]Pike can be good eating. Some people just cut them vertically into steaks instead of fillets. Lots of bones to contend with, which is the reason a lot of people shun them.

Never tried. Not really into eating fish, sushi yea. I have eaten perch in the past, was not bad.
Pike caught from good clean, cool waters - and then filleted & cleaned properly with the "Y" bones removed is very good.

We like it cut in strips (or fingers), dusted with flour and deep fried.

P
(07-10-2019 03:59 PM)ANONEEMUSKY Wrote: [ -> ]Pike caught from good clean, cool waters - and then filleted & cleaned properly with the "Y" bones removed is very good.

We like it cut in strips (or fingers), dusted with flour and deep fried.

P

I should try it sometime. Been stuck in the city these days because I don't drive and rely on my bro in law to go out fish.

I'll probably head out do G Ross Lord park tonight(I live just outside) and try to fish for some carp. Hopefully we can make it out to Trenton tomorrow. Any suggestions inside or out of Toronto to fish? Just anywhere to cast some lures out or drop a line. I've come back a few times empty handed and wifey's on my case to justify my gear purchases Undecided
Hey,

This time of year, in most of southern Ontario along the lake, in this heat - carp is probably a the wisest choice as a target.

Sorry - not from the Toronto area. Besides - one never shares precise locations - as you should know.

I must say: Angling today is a calming (or quite exhilarating) pastime/sport for gentlemen and ladies - and is not an effective (nor a frugal) meal provider. Gear is required in any sport, our sport is actually quite low in cost for the average participant. It is not the dead meat on the table that measures your pleasure. Take up golf and see how your wife likes the taste of a deep fried Pro-Flite. Buck up pal - or perhaps take her with you.

P
(07-10-2019 04:41 PM)ANONEEMUSKY Wrote: [ -> ]Hey,

This time of year, in most of southern Ontario along the lake, in this heat - carp is probably a the wisest choice as a target.

Sorry - not from the Toronto area. Besides - one never shares precise locations - as you should know.

I must say: Angling today is a calming (or quite exhilarating) pastime/sport for gentlemen and ladies - and is not an effective (nor a frugal) meal provider. Gear is required in any sport, our sport is actually quite low in cost for the average participant. It is not the dead meat on the table that measures your pleasure. Take up golf and see how your wife likes the taste of a deep fried Pro-Flite. Buck up pal - or perhaps take her with you.

P

Thanks for the heads up. I just got back from the dam there near my place. It's just too hot today. Was supposed to be showers and overcast so I thought it might be ok, but I headed in after a couple hours.

Yea the wife is a indoorsy type and I rarely take her with me. Golf just isn't my thing. She's not that bad where I'd have to find a new hobby, but just gives me the old "You always come home empty handed anyway, might as well stay home." lecture. Maybe I should snag her and let her run around for a bit.

I might head out to Wilcox after the sun dies down today and try my luck wading around in the weeds. Used to bike out there as a kid and fish for sunfish. Heard there's bass in there so Maybe I can snag one.
Reference URL's