Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: How do i use 3 rods fro carp fishing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see on here now that I can use 3 rods for carp fishing here.

How do you set up to not have a big tangle mess if you hook a big running about fish?

I will for sure try this in spring and summer.

Buck
It is a bit of a tricky situation and alot of judegement expereince is involved. Here are some ways I use:
  • Keep the rods as far apart as possibe
  • Cast in different directions
  • Keep the lines at different angles (some rod tip high; some rod tip low)
  • Use a back lead if possible.
  • When a fish is on you need to play it so that it stays away from the other lines
  • Try to play the fis to the side it will stay under the line.
  • If lines are crossing: If the fish is over keep rod tip up; below, tip down

(Using backleads)

The longer out you cast and the greater the angle of the lines the less chance of having your lines crossing.

Also try to select different landing spots about 10ft away from each other. To avoid having to bring the fish into a potential tangle.

Hope this helps.
The first time I tried this last year with 3 was on a river and it wasn't the easiest thing to do. A strong current really can really be a problem if it makes your baits tumble downstream. So - using a sinker capable of holding your bait on bottom in one position helps if you are on a river.

I also found that standing below the downstream end of the 3 rods helps you monitor all three rod tips at once for signs of a strike.

I never had 3 on at once - but did have 2. Now that was a crazy confusing adrenalin circus. Ended up losing both to bottom snags by trying to fight both an and off. Next time I'll pick one fish and beach it first - then take on the other if it's still possible.

I also think I will take my line (leader) strength up a notch or two this year when doing this.

Rada
All great advice.

Here's some more:

https://fishncanada.com/strategies-for-m...n-ontario/

Cheers,

Oldtimer
Reference URL's