Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Lake front Promenade - Old Mississauga smoke stacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I used to fish this area in Mississauga when the smoke stacks were up like 15 - 17 years ago. I caughtmy first (of many) brown there. But I haven't really fished it in the last little while until last thursday and got skunked. Does anyone know if this are has any fish?
I stopped fishing there when the coal fired Lakeview Power Plant was shut down and then demolished.

Previous to the shutdown the fish came in the outflow channel area to feed on minnows etc attracted by the warmer generator system water being discharged. Was a great spot through the winter back then.

Nothing special now I believe.

Current aerial shot:

[attachment=153]

1980's lakeview power brown:

[attachment=156]

A few 1980's shots of the Lakeview outflow channel area:

[attachment=154]

[attachment=155]

Cheers,

OldTimer
HeyOT,

That was a great hot spot back in the day. We used to live right accross the street from there @ 899 lakeshore. We spent many a cold, windy and snowy day casting spoons from the big rocks near the mouth by the Port Credit Yacht Club. I caugh my first Brownie there when I was a young teen in the 90's. Its too bad that the fishery there has declined. I read somewhere that ther are some pike there so I casted spinners around there one night last week, but no luck.

Thanks for sharing the pics!
Wow OT those are some pictures!

I see it was the same story as the Pickering hot water outflow. The minnows go there or get sucked in, chewed up, and chum the outflow. Too bad the Pickering one is inaccessible from shore.

On the plus side, no hot water outflow means no heat pollution.
(06-11-2012 01:47 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]Wow OT those are some pictures!

I see it was the same story as the Pickering hot water outflow. The minnows go there or get sucked in, chewed up, and chum the outflow. Too bad the Pickering one is inaccessible from shore.

On the plus side, no hot water outflow means no heat pollution.

If theyre was shore access i think it would be a zooTongue
The Nanticoke power plant (on Lake Erie) does not have shore access - but it does have access should you have a good boat.

This time of year fishing the outflow is very good for White Bass.............. IF.............. the station is running.
(06-10-2012 12:40 AM)wknd outdoorsman Wrote: [ -> ]HeyOT,

That was a great hot spot back in the day. We used to live right accross the street from there @ 899 lakeshore. We spent many a cold, windy and snowy day casting spoons from the big rocks near the mouth by the Port Credit Yacht Club. I caugh my first Brownie there when I was a young teen in the 90's. Its too bad that the fishery there has declined. I read somewhere that ther are some pike there so I casted spinners around there one night last week, but no luck.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

I've been there fishing a lot since the power plant was closed. Lots of Alewife in the marina... Pike seen swimming around too (even caught a few).
Reference URL's