Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Newbie looking for advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum here and haven't really been fishing much since I was a kid. I used to shore fish alot as a kid for catfish and carp in local ponds and rivers.

I now live in Beamsville, Ontario (Niagara Region) and am looking to get going on some fishing. I'd like to try the whirlpool in Niagara Falls but I'm not sure what sort of a rig I should be setting up. I'm game for catching any species, I just need some help getting going. At this time of year I'm not certain what species is most likely to be hitting and at what time of day.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Meatface
Wecome to the OSF forum.

Cheers,

OldTimer
I'm certainly not having an easy go of things. I went down to the Whirlpool in the Niagara River this evening for a couple hours. My buddy had just been there a few hours before and said he was hammering largemouth bass. I never had a single hit. It was my first time there so I was trying just about everything in my box as I've heard that the whirlpool produces just about every species known. There were 5 or 6 other guys down there and there seemed to be no action at all. I'm getting a little discourages as every time I go out I'm getting skunked.
(06-30-2012 10:56 PM)meatface Wrote: [ -> ]I'm getting a little discourages as every time I go out I'm getting skunked.

Welcome welcome! This will happen and I'm sure almost every single one of us have had times like those... and still do.

Check out the great threads in the General Discussion section.

There are so many factors involved in catching a fish (eg: time of day, fish's mood, weather pattern, bait, depth, baitfish/minnow movements.... and on and on...) , it is not as easy as many people would make it out to be.

Looking forward to meeting you at our next meetup!
Reference URL's