Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Portable Fish Finders anyone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(07-23-2012 05:08 PM)MikeH Wrote: [ -> ]You should start a second site called Ontario Canoe Fishing.... Big Grin

or Ontario Inflatable Pool Toy Fishing.............. smile.

OT
(07-23-2012 06:21 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-23-2012 05:08 PM)MikeH Wrote: [ -> ]You should start a second site called Ontario Canoe Fishing.... Big Grin

LOL Mike, I knew you were going to that before I even opened the thread up Tongue

Hahahaha.... how about Ontario Shore Canoe Fishing.... you sit in the canoe, but it stays on the bank...Tongue

I have been looking at one of the split tail kayaks, that allow you to stand up. I'm thinking I might have to get one for next year.
(07-24-2012 05:51 PM)MikeH Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-23-2012 06:21 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]

LOL Mike, I knew you were going to that before I even opened the thread up Tongue

Hahahaha.... how about Ontario Shore Canoe Fishing.... you sit in the canoe, but it stays on the bank...Tongue

I have been looking at one of the split tail kayaks, that allow you to stand up. I'm thinking I might have to get one for next year.

Those seem rad! Apparently there are also very stable sit-on-tops that you can stand up on as well. The trade-off is speed.
I have an Ocean Kayak Torque. It's very stable, but I haven't worked up the courage to stand in it yet when I'm fishing (I worry about capsizing and losing fishing gear); I have seen videos of people standing and fishing from lots of models of sit on tops without any trouble.

I was thinking of installing a fish finder, but might go for one of these portables instead, since I could easily switch it over to the canoe.
(07-24-2012 08:20 PM)woolyworm Wrote: [ -> ]I have an Ocean Kayak Torque. It's very stable, but I haven't worked up the courage to stand in it yet when I'm fishing (I worry about capsizing and losing fishing gear); I have seen videos of people standing and fishing from lots of models of sit on tops without any trouble.

I was thinking of installing a fish finder, but might go for one of these portables instead, since I could easily switch it over to the canoe.

You should tie down your tackle, you never know! I don't have rod holders on the canoe, so I have to use carabiner clips around the reel stems to secure the rods to the boat.

Apparently you can shoot the sonar through the hull, as long as there is water filling up any air gaps. I've tried it, and it works... although not as well as putting the transducer outside the boat.

What I did was take a ziplock bag, fill it with water, and put the transducer inside it.
How is the fish finder so far? I've always debated on getting one but of the price I always double think it but every time I get skunked I'm like " I only I had a fish finder" Tongue let me know how it's on the canoe maybe I'll get one for mine! I'm dying to catch something bigger then a panfish this summer
(08-02-2012 12:00 PM)ALN Wrote: [ -> ]How is the fish finder so far? I've always debated on getting one but of the price I always double think it but every time I get skunked I'm like " I only I had a fish finder" Tongue let me know how it's on the canoe maybe I'll get one for mine! I'm dying to catch something bigger then a panfish this summer

Well so far the fish finder has not helped me catch a single fish. I've been using it only for Lake Trout.

It has helped me find schools of fish, but this has not yet led me to catching one.

For shallow water, about 10 feet I don't see why anybody would need one. For deeper water that you cannot see through to the bottom, then you would need one to find weeds and structures like that.

If I wasn't trying to catch Lake Trout, I probably wouldn't have one lol.

Of course take this with a grain of salt, I'm not experienced in using it to its full potential.
It's a tool , not a blank cheque.
Damn I love blank cheques too Sad haha
Looking forward to seeing your laker.
Can't wait until I get my own steelhead, I think thts what my rod can handle
(08-03-2012 11:03 AM)ALN Wrote: [ -> ]Looking forward to seeing your laker.

Trust me, so am I LOL Big Grin
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's