Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Spinning reel, "bumps" in retrieve
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This week I'm test driving the Pflueger President 30 size spinning reel. It's smooth as silk... except for one annoying issue.

I previously noted this issue in my review of the Avocet II Silver. It is less evident in the President, but it's still glaringly there.

I'm talking about a certain "bump" or "clang" that is felt sporadically in the reel while retrieving. It is more noticeable when cranking in heavier lures. It is also more noticeable when cranking at a moderate speed (not slow and not burning fast). No, it is not the action of the lure. No, it is not nibbles from fish. It's a slight bumping sensation coming from the reel itself.

I hope someobody knows what I'm talking about. Is it normal? If it is, I don't think it's acceptable! I have reels from the 1980s that retrieve without this random clang, bump sensation.
I doubt in a Pflueger that an unbalanced bail arm housing is the issue, as is the case in some really cheap reels, and in wow size saltwater spiinnng reels.

Is the sensation's occurrence in sync with the reel spool being at the extremes of its in/out position, or at each end of the cycle?
(07-27-2012 06:47 AM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Is the sensation's occurrence in sync with the reel spool being at the extremes of its in/out position, or at each end of the cycle?

I just took it out for another spin to test this. From what I can tell, the bumps are completely random. Sad

It's going back to the store... not impressed! Just bought it yesterday.
Reference URL's