Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fishers in Bowmanville making a manual fish ladder for Salmon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
People in Bowmanville making a manual Salmon ladder in efforts to save over 5000 Salmon. Amazing story and props to the people helping out.

Smile

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2271211044/
I saw salmons at the bohemians dam pack of salmons but didn't seem to close 5000
But it is packed like ganaraska fisher ladder
(08-24-2012 10:23 AM)roska Wrote: [ -> ]I saw salmons at the bohemians dam pack of salmons but didn't seem to close 5000
But it is packed like ganaraska fisher ladder

Haha,
Yeah it's definitely packed.
I think they meant that in the end they will have accumulated 5000 because some are still swimming up to the spot.

Giuga10
I heard about this in the news, fantastic!
Re fishers! It's fishermen, don't let the PC weenies at the CBC change the english language so easily.
I think it's great that these concerned folks are giving nature a leg up.
(09-01-2012 05:59 AM)beaser Wrote: [ -> ]Re fishers! It's fishermen, don't let the PC weenies at the CBC change the english language so easily.
I think it's great that these concerned folks are giving nature a leg up.

I do too, it's great that we can help out the spawning fish and in the end we do get the benefit which is more fish in the water from the eggs! Smile.

Thanks for your input,
Giuga10
I'd love to volunteer for the manual fish ladder, seems like a blast LOL. Anyways, it would be much better to construct a proper one. I think the story was that they came early this year, before they could build one...

From what I can tell, being chased down with a net and carried on a pulley probably isn't the best thing for already stressed-out fish. I'm sure the procedure caused some additional mortality. Still, it's probably better than leaving them below the dam.
(09-04-2012 12:56 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote: [ -> ]I'd love to volunteer for the manual fish ladder, seems like a blast LOL. Anyways, it would be much better to construct a proper one. I think the story was that they came early this year, before they could build one...

From what I can tell, being chased down with a net and carried on a pulley probably isn't the best thing for already stressed-out fish. I'm sure the procedure caused some additional mortality. Still, it's probably better than leaving them below the dam.

Yeah it does seem really fun.
Reference URL's