Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Catch Limits in Ontario
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here’s a topic that should generate a bit of discussion………….. catch limits.

I attach below two examples of the legal Ontario limits……. One is from 1958 (55 years ago)……….. One is current (2013) from Zone

[attachment=432]

[attachment=433]

Bass and pike are exactly the same, the rest vary…………from a bit to a lot….

Blue Pickerel was set at 35 per day in 1958. They are now considered extinct in the great lakes.

Perch had no limit in most of the province in 1958.

Here’s my first question – what do you think of the limits today?

Here’s my second question – do you know what the catch limits are for a child or a senior – both of whom don’t need to have a licence?.............hmmmm

Cheers,

OldTimer
Second question: They have to follow Sport License limits, see http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Let...65301.html under "Who does not need to purchase an Outdoors Card and Fishing Licence Tag?"

Interesting how some of the names the ministry uses have changed... maskinonge as far as I've ever been concerned is the French word for muskellunge, "yellow pickerel" I guess is walleye, and I have no idea what a kamloops trout is or what happened to them, nor who calls an Atlantic salmon a ounananiche.

Also strange that they used to manage brown trout and aurora trout as one fish, since aurora trout is actually a phase or subspecies of brook trout.
This is a priceless post, OT. Looking back and seeing what once was really puts things into perspective.

First question: I would have a hard time answering. I've only experienced the limits today. You can consider what most people consume every day. Some people like to catch fish to feed their families, and some like to do it only for sport. The interests of these two groups clash.
Reference URL's