Ontario Shore Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hello
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody

I am Enzo, and I found this forum while looking for some early spring spot to bring my 4 years old son fishing for sunfish.
But first a very short presentation. I have been fishing since I was 6 years old, now I am in the mid-thirties, so it has been a long way Smile.
I live in Toronto and I don't have much time: work, family, kids, wife......you know Smile
I fish mostly spinning for bass, trout and (when it is season) salmons, but I am getting back to my earlier roots and I am willing to try fishing all the less known fish of the area, such as suckers, buffalo, lings and drum. I miss the thrill of the bobber running underwater. It was my favourite technique when I was in Europe (bolognese style in running water, english style in still water), but I haven't seen anybody using it here.
Oh, I almost forgot: I started also flyfishing, but I am such a bad caster.....

Enzo
Forgot to add something regarding my experience here in Ontario.
Until last summer I have been active with the CRAA, going every Sunday at the hatchery, helping with catching and tagging steelies (what monsters I saw...). Unfortunately with my job and family needs I had basically no time anymore, so I temporarily stopped. It was fun though, and I ended up spending more time cleaning the hatchery than actually fishing Smile
Welcome Enzo! Glad to hear you're involved with the CRAA, good for you for helping out.

Which technique haven't you seen anyone use here?
Hi MichaelAngelo

thank you for welcoming me Smile

Regarding the techniques: they are basically the english style bobber fishing (and also ledgering), plus the similar style (bolognese) that actually works in moving water. I understand the reason though: they are aimed mostly at what here are considered coarse fishing (which back in Europe are more prized for fishing). Actually I am curious to give it a try here (I am mainly a spinning guy).
Hi Enzo,

Welcome to the OSF forum.

All forms of angling, and all species are within the topics discussed here......... I'm sure you'll discover the info you seek.

Cheers,

OldTimer
Welcome Enzo,

Glad to hear you're widening your approach and targeting the Roughfish, lots of fun to be had targeting those fish!
Toronto's a great place to fish too.

How big were some of the monsters while you worked with the CRAA?

Welcome,
Giuga10
(04-02-2013 03:45 PM)Giuga10 Wrote: [ -> ]How big were some of the monsters while you worked with the CRAA?

we caught (for tagging and releasing) steelies over 15 lbs.
And most of them were wild (not hatchery raised): all the hatchery trout were "labelled" by cutting the adipose fin.
Interesting.......... so the wild fish out-number the stocked fish - as you witnessed?
(04-02-2013 06:15 PM)OldTimer Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting.......... so the wild fish out-number the stocked fish - as you witnessed?

yes, definitely. I don't remember if I still have the document (I have to check in the files recovered from my old broken pc) or the link, but last summer I was told by the CRAA president that 86% of the steelies in the Credit are wild born.

A big chunk of Coho salmon too are wild born in the Credit (they leave the river very soon), while almost none of the chinook are (they tend to stay longer in the river, so basically they get cooked before going into the lake).

The CRAA guys did an amazing job.
Hi Enzo:

Welcome to the OSF.

It's interesting to hear some great news from CRAA.
Reference URL's