You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Fishing on my own - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-Forum)
+--- Forum: Welcome! (/Forum-Welcome)
+--- Thread: Fishing on my own (/Thread-Fishing-on-my-own)

Fishing on my own - Shamus32 - 08-10-2013 10:35 AM

Just thought I would pop in and say hi. I have always enjoyed fishing, but have been handicapped by the fact that I am uncomfortable touching fish. This has meant that I could only go out if I had someone with me who was able to take off any fish caught. Now with a 4 year-old son of my own, I want to be able to take him out for the experiences I had as a boy (I also want to maintain my "Daddy can do anything" image for as long as possible Wink ). Last week I went out and purchased a pair of fishing gloves, and began practicing on small bass and sunfish by docks. I am happy to say I took more fish off the hook on my first day than I had in my previous 33 years of life. This morning I went for my first solo fishing outing. I got a bit of a shock going from taking off those little sunfish the day before, to having to remove a 26in pike today. Thankfully I was able to successfully remove it, and he is now back swimming in the river.

I also wanted to thank OldTimer for posting those contour maps of the various lakes last year. I live about 1 minute on foot from the edge of Mary Lake, and was having one heck of a time finding an underwater map of it.

Cheers

RE: Fishing on my own - OldTimer - 08-10-2013 11:15 AM

Hey Shamus,

I'm always happy to hear someone is getting some use from those old maps.

Looking forward to your reports from Mary Lake.

Welcome to OSF.

Regards,

OldTimer

RE: Fishing on my own - Giuga10 - 08-10-2013 11:54 AM

Welcome!

RE: Fishing on my own - MichaelAngelo - 08-10-2013 05:22 PM

Welcome there Shamus. Congrats on the big pike! I'm sure you had a heck of a time unhooking it compared to the sunfish Big Grin. Glad you're overcoming that hurdle! I know a lot of people who felt the same way you did.