You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
UPDATED: Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: UPDATED: Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) (/Thread-UPDATED-Caught-me-a-Steelhead-on-the-Centerpin-Vid-Pic)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - mcfly - 10-25-2013 06:48 PM

Nice Steelhead! I just started hooking up on them this week after days and days without a single hit from one. They are crazy fun fish and man are they delicious!

(10-25-2013 10:39 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  A longer rod allows you to control your drift much more effectively, and it allows you to extend your drift much further WITH CONTROL.
That's true, and it also helps if your rod is 15' that way you can fish over other people at combat fishing spots lol but in all honesty, I feel way more control using a longer rod for bigger fish you need to 'turn'. Once I switched from 9' to 12' for carp it changed the whole game for me. And then now using 13'6" for steelhead and salmon has been great. When holding it at the store it feels way too long, but once you're on the river it's totally different. I could see myself using a 15' at some of the rivers I fish at

(10-25-2013 03:55 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  While float rods and reels are the latest fad and are quite stylish perhaps,.... but "really really" - they are not necessary. They've only been out a few years.......... and guess what?............. we ALL caught LOTTSA fish prior to them being dreamed up

The first well documented Centre-pin reel was introduced by Samuel Allcocks in 1894 after the patent for its design was granted to JW Young in 1893 so I'm pretty sure they've been around for a long time.

Maybe the last few years has seen a resurgence? It's true, it's not a necessary but I find it way more fun to fight fish that 'run' on a centre pin like carp or trout. I've used it all summer for everything, even boat fishing for walleyes and it just makes fishing fun for me. Personally, I feel like I'm cheating in a way when I use spinning reels because it makes my life so much easier. I like the challenge the pin adds and really makes you work not only for your fish, but even just to cast LOL to each their own though of course!

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - instapump416 - 10-25-2013 08:30 PM

(10-25-2013 06:48 PM)mcfly Wrote:  Nice Steelhead! I just started hooking up on them this week after days and days without a single hit from one. They are crazy fun fish and man are they delicious!

Yea, I think the rain and cold weather has helped a lot.

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - instapump416 - 10-25-2013 10:33 PM

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - OldTimer - 10-26-2013 06:25 AM

(10-25-2013 06:48 PM)mcfly Wrote:  I use spinning reels because it makes my life so much easier.

I agree.

OT

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - instapump416 - 10-26-2013 01:49 PM

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - MichaelAngelo - 10-27-2013 08:06 PM

(10-26-2013 01:49 PM)instapump416 Wrote:  

jeeze man you're on a roll!!! Even more jealous than I was last week Tongue.

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - instapump416 - 10-28-2013 08:56 AM

Make sure to subscribe to my youtube channel for more vids.

RE: UPDATED Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - instapump416 - 10-29-2013 09:55 PM

[Image: al3j7q.jpg]

Im not a fan of hooking a fish outside its mouth. Can you guys recommend single plastic eggs to put on a hook?

[Image: 2rw24xx.png]

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - Giuga10 - 10-29-2013 10:34 PM

Buy artificial roe, comes in lots of different colors and sizes, can be scented, and can stick right on a hook.

Berkely makes some, Jenson egg, Best bite ect

RE: UPDATED Oct 23 on pg 3 Caught me a Steelhead on the Centerpin (Vid/Pic) - instapump416 - 10-29-2013 10:56 PM

Got a link on a brand?

Thanks Giuga!