You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
lead free fishing - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing Resources (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-Resources)
+--- Forum: Gear and Tackle Reviews (/Forum-Gear-and-Tackle-Reviews)
+--- Thread: lead free fishing (/Thread-lead-free-fishing)

Pages: 1 2

RE: lead free fishing - David Chong - 04-04-2014 05:43 PM

Tungsten has come down in price and the difference in feel is night & day as opposed to lead. It is more expensive but there are more benefits than just the environmentally friendly aspect.

RE: lead free fishing - MichaelAngelo - 04-09-2014 08:49 PM

(04-04-2014 05:43 PM)David Chong Wrote:  Tungsten has come down in price and the difference in feel is night & day as opposed to lead. It is more expensive but there are more benefits than just the environmentally friendly aspect.

I have yet to try it. Could you describe in what ways it feels different than fishing with lead? I see that it is more dense than lead. That equates to a smaller profile in the water for the same fishing weight. I see that to be an advantage on its own.

RE: lead free fishing - OldTimer - 04-10-2014 02:36 PM

Tungsten is a very hard brittle metal. Lead is a soft very ductile metal.

Hence - Lead will absorb vibrations in comparison to tungsten which will transmit more of the vibrations caused by impacts along to which it is connected (i.e your line).

The smaller diameter of nail type tungsten sinkers aids in improving this process.

I can not see any advantage to bullet, egg or or most bell types used in a sliding connection.

If there is a mud bottom or heavy weeds there would be no advantage either as there is no resultant vibrations are produced in slop. The advantage comes in rock, gravel and brush

Do remember on average (not counting tackle shop sales or clearances) that tungsten lists out at 10 times the price of lead.

To me - not worth the difference in $ for my fishing .......and how many sinkers I lose....... to a pro - maybe, as their $ income is entirely dependant on maximizing all possible avenues leading to a catch.

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: lead free fishing - MikeH - 04-12-2014 08:11 AM

The nail style tungsten weights are awesome for sticking into the ends of the larger floating worms and creating a head down shaky rig, or putting in the tail section for a rig that slides backwards in the water on pauses in the retrieve.