You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Lifting fish from the hole. Gaff vs. gill grab - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Lifting fish from the hole. Gaff vs. gill grab (/Thread-Lifting-fish-from-the-hole-Gaff-vs-gill-grab)

Lifting fish from the hole. Gaff vs. gill grab - MichaelAngelo - 01-24-2014 06:55 PM

After a lot of gill grabbing to remove fish from holes, I can't help but wonder if a gaff would do less damage to lake trout. A sharp, barbless gaff hook inserted in the jaw of the fish to lift it out of the hole would certainly do less damage than putting the weight of the fish on one of its most sensitive organs.

Of course there's the spring-loaded boga-style grips, but from my experience today, they freeze solid. So I must find an alternative for cold days like today.

RE: Lifting fish from the hole. Gaff vs. gill grab - Eli - 01-24-2014 08:42 PM

Fish Grip...
floats, harmless to fish, no spring so it wont freeze...

Gaff = slow, pointless death

RE: Lifting fish from the hole. Gaff vs. gill grab - OldTimer - 01-25-2014 08:17 AM

I own both............. I'd have to go with the fish grip over a hand gaff if releasing the fish.

OT