You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
favorite species - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: favorite species (/Thread-favorite-species)

Pages: 1 2

RE: favorite species - MUSKY OR SPECKS - 10-11-2015 08:34 AM

My name says it all but I also enjoy smallmouth fishing. That being said don't fish Musky from shore as a target species. The closest I would get to that would be a canoe in a small river that when we catch them we quickly paddle to shore to land and release them example below

[Image: Brad1.jpg]

RE: favorite species - fritzy - 10-20-2015 12:56 AM

I've been fishing since I was knee high to a duck.

With that said, I started off as a "catch anything" type angler. As I grew up I began fishing the bayfront/pier 4 in hamilton along with a few trips in the boat with my old man and his pal chasing bass. Admittedly, I was never too successful with that.

Then one day, I was fishing at the desjardines Canal with a heavy sinker and a worm and caught a drum. That day, really opened my eyes to coarse fishing. Those drum are hard fighters and a pleasure to tangle with, however...

That same day, I was fishing alongside another guy who was using corn and this guy hooked into a Carp. The pandemonium that ensued was sublime - screaming drag, bent rod and a fight that just never seemed to end.

Well, I was hooked before I even landed one.

Long story short, that was 6 years ago. Now I fish exclusively for Carp. Got rid of most of my bass gear, minus a couple rods and a reel, and chase carp everywhere and anywhere. I'm borderline on my tactics, far from true euro style but I do follow a lot of those ideals - rod pod, hair rigs, boilies, alarms etc.

Anyway, carp and drum are favorites. However, in reality it's a 95% carp and 5% drum. If the carp aren't biting around the pier 4 area, I'll toss a white crankbait for some drum.

To me, a fish's merit is based on it's fight and quite frankly, I've yet to tangle with a fish that fights as hard as a carp and I've caught all the basic species (channel cat, bass, pike, walleye etc.)

So yea. Carp baby!

RE: favorite species - Eli - 10-21-2015 06:16 PM

Mine's the arctic grayling. They're incredibly beautiful, so too is their habitat, and so is the way they are fished for.
They're the wood duck of Canada's freshwater species.

[Image: 14806405882_604d96ecb9_z.jpg]

RE: favorite species - tweedwolfscream - 10-21-2015 07:24 PM

Cool, that's what you said when you started this thread too Smile

RE: favorite species - Eli - 10-21-2015 09:14 PM

HAHA
Yeah, I forgot didn't I. That's what happens when an ancient thread gets bumped up and the link takes you to the bottom of the page.

But yeah, grayling!