You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
April - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: April (/Thread-April)

Pages: 1 2

April - mykowave - 04-30-2014 10:26 PM

Does anyone know if there are channel cats in GTA? I got myself some cut bait and want to try it.

Also, April's been terrible fishing for me... any advice on where to go? I just wanna feel something bite again...

RE: April - fishingdude888 - 04-30-2014 10:41 PM

I hear the Trent canal.... Which part I can't remember exactly.... Let me ask my buddy and get back to u! Hey at least u have gone fishing..... I've yet to go since last year!!!

RE: April - tweedwolfscream - 05-01-2014 11:57 AM

I feel like April is just a tough month to be an angler in Ontario. Up north a lot of waters are in that awkward stage between ice-fishable and castable/navigable. In and around the GTA, pretty much every species that has a closed season is closed in April, until the trout opener this past Saturday. Sure, there are year-round trout seasons in the lower reaches of many tribs, but even there, much of April is about waiting for the run, waiting for the blown-out rivers to recede and become fishable, etc. Panfishing, if that's a word, probably becomes better later in the season in a lot of places.

Anyway, hang in there. Brookies and upstream bows/browns are open now and the spring steelhead runs should last a long time this year. Pike (and walleye, for that matter) open this Saturday on Lake Ontario, and the following Saturday on inland waters. Good luck!

RE: April - FrenchCarper - 05-01-2014 12:59 PM

I've been catching bullheads and cats at bluffers park after hours. Nothing huge, but nothing tiny ether.

RE: April - mykowave - 05-01-2014 01:29 PM

Yea, I kept saying to myself, " I hate april." hahaha. I wonder if there are channels anywhere? I got a sucker for cut bait!

RE: April - fishingdude888 - 05-01-2014 01:38 PM

(05-01-2014 12:59 PM)FrenchCarper Wrote:  I've been catching bullheads and cats at bluffers park after hours. Nothing huge, but nothing tiny ether.

i hear there are pretty decent sized Perch at the bluffer's.

RE: April - FrenchCarper - 05-01-2014 01:42 PM

I've been told that too. However, I've never seen any. I guess when the weeds start to grow in they will show up. I've caught and seen a lot of carp there recently.

RE: April - fishingdude888 - 05-01-2014 01:47 PM

(04-30-2014 10:26 PM)mykowave Wrote:  Does anyone know if there are channel cats in GTA? I got myself some cut bait and want to try it.

Also, April's been terrible fishing for me... any advice on where to go? I just wanna feel something bite again...

found it! Frandford, Lock #6 part of the Trent Severn Canal...

RE: April - OldTimer - 05-01-2014 03:12 PM

(04-30-2014 10:26 PM)mykowave Wrote:  Does anyone know if there are channel cats in GTA? I got myself some cut bait and want to try it.

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thread-Channel-Catfish-Locations-101

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: April - Toasty - 05-01-2014 03:14 PM

I heard there are massive channel cats at the Niagara Whirlpool. Good luck hiking down there though lol