You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Bait shop near border - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Bait shop near border (/Thread-Bait-shop-near-border)

Pages: 1 2

Bait shop near border - Fossil Fish - 05-24-2015 04:06 PM

Next Saturday, I have a fossil collecting trip planned in western NY. On the way home, I'm planning on doing a bit of fishing in hopes of landing my first channel cat. I have a spot in mind on the Welland River, but other suggestions are welcome. What I would like is help locating a bait shop so I can pick up some worms. I'll be crossing at Fort Erie/Buffalo. I don't want to bring any with me because the border guards don't allow international dirt (yet I've never had any issues with fossils????). I also know channel cats don't do worms primarily, but might as well see what else is in there with them. Thanks in advance.

RE: Bait shop near border - zippyFX - 05-24-2015 04:59 PM

Can't help you with a bait shop but just wanted to say that you can get plenty of cats on worms, though not usually the bigger ones.

Never fished it but I heard good things about the well and canal.

RE: Bait shop near border - Bad Curry - 05-24-2015 07:22 PM

Usually gas station near water bodies or boat launch would carry worms. Keep an eye out for gas station after border crossing? Worst case bring a small shovel and dig your own.

RE: Bait shop near border - OldTimer - 05-25-2015 08:15 AM

BassPro (Niagara on the Lake store) is just off the highway in that area.

RE: Bait shop near border - Fossil Fish - 05-31-2015 07:27 AM

So yesterday went well, despite the weather forecast. Made it to the border by 7 am, crossed over and headed to the collecting site to find the main route blocked off for a cycling event. Fortunately I know the area and had no problems. There were about 25 or so fossil hunters there, but I still managed to grab about a dozen trilobites. Several are complete, but most need some prep work to see whether parts are buried or missing. Anyway, this is a fishing forum, so after I left NY, I found my spot on the Welland River and got to it. Regardless of the border crossing, I brought worms with me, as well as turkey giblets left over from Christmas. Starting with the giblets on a 1/0 circle hook, it wasn't long till I felt a good tug, but then nothing. I recast and soon got a hit, my first channel cat, but dammit, he got off the hook at my feet just as I was getting my net. A few casts later, another one hit and he wasn't getting away. Not as big as the first, based solely on the fight, but still my first ever channel cat landed. I got a couple others on giblets, then switched to worms and a bobber to see what else was in the river. Turns out, other than a couple of carp I saw swimming by, there's nothing but channels. For a while every cast got me a channel cat within a minute. No giants, most 9-10", but they still fight pretty good. In all, ended up with at least 20 channels and a nasty sunburn. Despite a forecast of clouds and rain all day, I never saw more than a couple of drops until after 8pm.

RE: Bait shop near border - OldTimer - 05-31-2015 07:41 AM

Congratulations on your first Channel Cat(s).

Nice golden colour on that one.

Turkey giblets - great tip.

RE: Bait shop near border - zippyFX - 05-31-2015 09:35 AM

Congrats! As long as you only got a sunburn and did not get stuck by the catfish that's ok. Those smallones can be nasty!

RE: Bait shop near border - Fossil Fish - 05-31-2015 09:48 AM

Truth be told Zippy, I did end up with a couple of bloody knuckles as some sliced me with their pectoral spines on the release. The little ones really don't like staying still.

RE: Bait shop near border - zippyFX - 05-31-2015 09:56 PM

There you go, baptism by fire!

I hate getting poked and cut on the release. The one I hate the most is the nice, deep, jab between the fleshy part of the hand between the thumb and finger, when they flip in your hands.

RE: Bait shop near border - ray6591 - 06-01-2015 10:20 AM

Nice catch and thank you for sharing your story never knew I can use turkey giblets for fishing... Not that I am an experienced fisherman buy hey learned something new. Great day of fishing none the less.