You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Other Hobbies - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other (/Forum-Other)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (/Forum-Off-Topic-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Other Hobbies (/Thread-Other-Hobbies)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Other Hobbies - Frank81 - 02-10-2012 07:16 PM

Besides the outdoors stuff, fishing, camping, canoeing, hiking, fishing, hunting etc...
What other hobbies do you all have?

Me, I have a passion for car racing, more specifically Dirt Oval racing.
Every year I travel to about 12 to 20 different race tracks throughout Ontario, New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio from April to October mainly spectating, some times as a pit crew member.
I do not race myself and never have, the costs to run you're own race car are crazy and there is no way I can afford to enjoy outdoor activities and race.

Here is a picture of my brother and one of his feature wins in his Ford Mustang at Humberstone Speedway

[Image: dootchwin2010.jpg]

My favorite race cars are Sprint Cars, Latemodels and Modifieds. If you care too, you can do youtube searches for the divisions mentioned above and there is a lot of videos from all over North America and Australia.
If you have never been to a dirt oval race, you really should try it out a few times, it is a cheap night out with lots of entertainment.

RE: Other Hobbies - MichaelAngelo - 02-13-2012 11:22 PM

This is really awesome Frank, great share. My uncle's company has a racing touring car racing team. My cousins actually do pretty well in it. You're right it's deathly expensive!

Your brother races? What does he do to pull that cash flow =P

RE: Other Hobbies - Frank81 - 02-14-2012 11:10 PM

(02-13-2012 11:22 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  This is really awesome Frank, great share. My uncle's company has a racing touring car racing team. My cousins actually do pretty well in it. You're right it's deathly expensive!

Your brother races? What does he do to pull that cash flow =P

That's awesome, do they ever race at Mosport or Watkins Glen?
Touring cars are really expensive, lol My brothers division is too but not as much as those cars. My brother works at a dealership (mechanic) so he makes decent money, enough to run the race team anyways, lol

RE: Other Hobbies - MichaelAngelo - 02-15-2012 02:56 AM

Yup they're at Mosport once and a while. Not sure about Watkins Glen. Funny my dad and I always drive by Mosport when we go dirt biking (one hobby that I've recently been shunting for more fishing time hahah).

Yeah my dad and I try to get out on dirt bikes in the Ganaraska forest now and then. I'm on a honda crf230, he's on a honda xr250 so nothing extreme, just recreational.

[attachment=4]

RE: Other Hobbies - Frank81 - 02-15-2012 07:02 PM

(02-15-2012 02:56 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Yup they're at Mosport once and a while. Not sure about Watkins Glen. Funny my dad and I always drive by Mosport when we go dirt biking (one hobby that I've recently been shunting for more fishing time hahah).

Yeah my dad and I try to get out on dirt bikes in the Ganaraska forest now and then. I'm on a honda crf230, he's on a honda xr250 so nothing extreme, just recreational.

Nice Bikes, I always wanted one.
But remember, dirt bikes and atv's can be very useful if you use them to access remote shore fishing spots, especially all the little lakes that are located a short two hour drive north of the GTA. Trailer you're bikes just north of Huntsville and follow the atv trails which bring you to many lakes not felt by steady fishing pressure.

RE: Other Hobbies - MichaelAngelo - 02-16-2012 10:02 PM

But remember, dirt bikes and atv's can be very useful if you use them to access remote shore fishing spots, especially all the little lakes that are located a short two hour drive north of the GTA. Trailer you're bikes just north of Huntsville and follow the atv trails which bring you to many lakes not felt by steady fishing pressure.
[/quote]

Wow I never thought about it that way! Now that'd make an awesome trip. It'd be too far for a day trip (from here to Huntsville is almost 3 hours) though. I guess we could pitch a tent if it's remote enough not to be found.

RE: Other Hobbies - Frank81 - 02-17-2012 07:44 PM

(02-16-2012 10:02 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-15-2012 07:02 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  

Wow I never thought about it that way! Now that'd make an awesome trip. It'd be too far for a day trip (from here to Huntsville is almost 3 hours) though. I guess we could pitch a tent if it's remote enough not to be found.

[/quote]

There is all kinds of Crown Land to pitch a tent for free up there and groomed dirt bike/atv/snowmobile trails. My brother does a weekend "bush" trip with his atv every year and they just set up camp in the remother wildnerness. Send me a PM if you ever decide to give it a go., I could help ya out a bit on where to start.

RE: Other Hobbies - MichaelAngelo - 02-18-2012 09:25 PM

(02-17-2012 07:44 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  There is all kinds of Crown Land to pitch a tent for free up there and groomed dirt bike/atv/snowmobile trails. My brother does a weekend "bush" trip with his atv every year and they just set up camp in the remother wildnerness. Send me a PM if you ever decide to give it a go., I could help ya out a bit on where to start.

That's awesome thanks Frank, I'll let you know.

Do you know what he does for gas? Does he carry more gas in with him?

This would be great because even when canoeing into algonquin, you're never in the solitary wilderness because you share the lake with many other people, even cottages at some points.

RE: Other Hobbies - Frank81 - 02-19-2012 03:23 PM

(02-18-2012 09:25 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-17-2012 07:44 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  There is all kinds of Crown Land to pitch a tent for free up there and groomed dirt bike/atv/snowmobile trails. My brother does a weekend "bush" trip with his atv every year and they just set up camp in the remother wildnerness. Send me a PM if you ever decide to give it a go., I could help ya out a bit on where to start.

That's awesome thanks Frank, I'll let you know.

Do you know what he does for gas? Does he carry more gas in with him?

This would be great because even when canoeing into algonquin, you're never in the solitary wilderness because you share the lake with many other people, even cottages at some points.

Good question, I am not sure if he brings fuel or not.
How far can a full tank get you on you're bike?

RE: Other Hobbies - sonicsink - 09-28-2013 06:15 PM

In addition to fishing, I also do metal detecting. Not an easy hobby to do with kids in tow, it's pretty boring for them Tongue It's also harder these days to find places to hunt and get permission from land owners. I think fishing and metal detecting are pretty similar though, I get the same excitement at seeing whats going to appear on the end of my hook as I do when I dig up my "treasure". You never know what you're gonna get!