You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Hamilton/Niagara - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Hamilton/Niagara (/Thread-Hamilton-Niagara)

Hamilton/Niagara - Nleney1980 - 08-11-2017 03:16 AM

Hi everyone

I'm coming over for my UK next week and am staying for a week in Hamilton and a week further up towards Niagara.

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice:

1) Can I fish from the shore adequately, is there good depth/structure?
2) What am I fishing for, bass, perch, salmon can I catch Muskie from the shore here?
3) Any preferred methods that work above others?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nathan

RE: Hamilton/Niagara - zippyFX - 08-14-2017 04:47 PM

There are lots of place to fish along the Niagara. Queenston Docks. Niagara on the lake. Whirlpool.

Good chance for all the species you mentioned.

RE: Hamilton/Niagara - Nleney1980 - 08-14-2017 05:49 PM

Hi, thanks for your help.

What is the depth like among that side, is it a gradual slope or deep right off the shore? Just trying to judge what types of lure I'll be needing to use.

Also, any help on what licences I need to purchase for a weeks fishing would be great.

Thanks

N

RE: Hamilton/Niagara - zippyFX - 08-15-2017 12:18 AM

The bottom is very rocky in most places. The depth gets deep quick. Be prepared for a lot of snags if you cast anything going deep. Most people is the area use centerpin rods and floatfish for trout/Salmon. I cast some Rapala DT-18s and Mepp spinners that seem to work well at a park in Niagra on the Lake but I did not catch anything. I have seen people working worm with light weight just off the main current. You can also hit a local baitshop (I don't know any) and get some live bait and suggestions).

In Ontario all you will need is a freshwater fishing license this will cover you for everything here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-licence-non-residents-canada