You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Rods and reels - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Rods and reels (/Thread-Rods-and-reels)

Pages: 1 2

Rods and reels - wknd outdoorsman - 01-05-2018 12:32 AM

Just a quick question, and I wanted to get everyones thoughts on this. Is it better to invest in a higher quality rod, or higher quality reel?
What do you spend more on? Your rods or reels?

RE: Rods and reels - OldTimer - 01-05-2018 06:47 AM

I would never recommend the extreme low end rods.

I would never recommend the extreme high end reels.

That said - I lean toward better reels.

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: Rods and reels - surfcoaster - 01-05-2018 02:01 PM

I agree spend more on the reel.

Rad

RE: Rods and reels - zippyFX - 01-05-2018 09:35 PM

I try not to spend much on any given setup.

I do not buy cheap gear but I like to by specific gear that is inexpesive. I shop a lot but only buy when the price is right. I have mental shopping list

That being said I have found most of my catfish gear (MH Rod and Reels) for under $50.... Just had to jump on the specials. I troll KIJIJI for deals.

I found a Medium Shimano Combo at CT for $35 this year when the reel alone sells for $45. The rod is not as good as what I am used too but the kids are OK with it.

I would spend more on reels as I am more likely to use them more. For example, I can string the same reel on different rods with a tailored combination of braid and fluro leader. My favourite work horse reel is the Shimano Sienna. Good, robust and versatile. I like avocet reels as well. I have good luck trolling KIJIJI; I have picked up some nice used shimano reels as well.

I find I tend to damage and were out rods so I tend to spend less on them; I would rather have a reasonable collection of different capability rods (UL, L, ML, M, MH) at different lengths than a couple of more expensive rods. I might think differently if I was fishing from a boat.

RE: Rods and reels - wknd outdoorsman - 01-16-2018 12:15 AM

I love my shimano sienna! I'm pretty sure it's bulletproof!

RE: Rods and reels - zippyFX - 01-16-2018 03:03 PM

FYI... Quantum and Shakespeare combos are on sale at CT. They seem to be having a clearance. Combos I saw were starting @ $25 for rod, reel and beginner tackle set.

There were some good utility 6'6" M rods. this is how I picked up my favorite MH combo.

RE: Rods and reels - rossh - 02-25-2018 08:21 PM

I like Quantom reels & Ugly Sticks myself.

RE: Rods and reels - gthnk - 03-08-2018 09:58 PM

I pretty much stick to the mid-level gear.

I love fenwick (ultralight), uglystick (med-heavy) for rods.

I tend to go cheaper on the reel. I look for a decent drag and spool. If it's my ultralight, I look at weight/bulk since I am bushwhacking creeks in high grass.

RE: Rods and reels - zippyFX - 03-09-2018 09:15 AM

CT had some Rapala rods on Sale for $14 yesterday.... The rod is OK the reel is weak but good for fish and kitting out the cottage with some new rods.

RE: Rods and reels - rich_ace_G - 03-12-2018 10:39 AM

Invest on your fishing gear if you know you will be fishing regularly. If you're on a tight budget, there are great gears that will not burn a hole in your pocket. Take a look at the Okuma Celilo line. very cheap at amazon and very sturdy and light. Will get you almost every freshwater specie out there.Rapal type R is good reel and is inexpensive.