You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Hard Copy Fishing BOOKS of value - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other (/Forum-Other)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (/Forum-Off-Topic-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Hard Copy Fishing BOOKS of value (/Thread-Hard-Copy-Fishing-BOOKS-of-value)

Hard Copy Fishing BOOKS of value - OldTimer - 06-28-2012 04:57 PM

Hey,

I thought it might be value to start a thread that concerns itself with books that are of exceptional value to the angler.

Sure…….. There’s lots of websites with some information, but there is a MUCH larger wealth of excellent information in hard copy from the past (prior to the net).

Here’s one that I recommend heartily :

“How to Find Fish – and Make Them Strike”, by Joseph D. Bates Jr., it was published in 1974 by Outdoor Life as part of a series they offered to their subscribers.

Libraries may have a copy. But I do see that Abe Books has many available for as low as a buck plus postage.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?fromanz=fromanz&sortby=96&sts=t&tn=How+to+find+fish+and+make+them+strike&x=0&y=0

I was a subscriber and got my hard copy version when it first came out.

It helped me learn not just how-to, but also the why’s - so that I could understand my success or failure - and learn from my experiences to become a more effective angler.

Yes – it is from 1974 – but really really……… the basics of angling are just the same now, and will be 1000 years from now.

It is also a fantastic reference – having tables on preferred temp ranges, spawning periods, and tips for fishing in small creeks….. to rivers…….. to large lakes…….

And more.

I checked Google books – no freebie there yet………

So………………Any of you girls or guys got a fishin’ book worth a read?

Cheers,

OldTimer

RE: Hard Copy Fishing BOOKS of value - MikeH - 06-28-2012 05:20 PM

(06-28-2012 04:57 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  So………………Any of you girls or guys got a fishin’ book worth a read?

Northern Pike: A complete guide to Pike and Pike fishing.
Will Ryan
Lyons Press . ISBN: 1-59228-343-8

RE: Hard Copy Fishing BOOKS of value - OldTimer - 06-29-2012 03:03 PM

(06-28-2012 05:20 PM)MikeH Wrote:  
(06-28-2012 04:57 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  So………………Any of you girls or guys got a fishin’ book worth a read?

Northern Pike: A complete guide to Pike and Pike fishing.
Will Ryan
Lyons Press . ISBN: 1-59228-343-8

Good Book! The article and study on pike cannibalism is interesting.