You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Ontario Shore Fishing Forum
Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - Printable Version

+- Ontario Shore Fishing Forum (http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Ontario Shore Fishing General Discussion (/Forum-Ontario-Shore-Fishing-General-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned (/Thread-Swan-Lake-Fishing-Un-Banned)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - Giuga10 - 10-17-2012 08:25 PM

I read this on a couple of other forums and am ecstatic to hear this!

This was the document that was sent by many different people to the town of Markham regarding Swan Lake.

Dear Sir/Madam

I understand you have banned fishing in Southside Pond , Woodstock & Swan Lake, Markham . The reason being given is that fishing harms ducks. What evidence is there that fishing harms ducks? If this was the case Im sure the MNR would have surely banned all fishing in the Province of Ontario long ago?

Fishing from shore in small accesable community ponds give countless hours of recreational pleasure to youth, disabeled, aged and shore based anglers. To ban fishing at this site is a travesty. Shore based angling is an important recreational activity to countless citizens of your city.
Please lift this ban immediately so we can continue to enjoy fishing there.

Regards,

(your name)

And this was the reply that was sent back to one of the people.

Dear Mr. Vatter,

Thank you for your April 7, 2012 email regarding the fishing ban at Swan Lake. I would like to offer the following clarifications regarding some of the items mentioned in your email, as well as an explanation of the reasons behind the current ban on fishing at Swan Lake:

1. Fishing does not harm ducks as stated in your email. In fact, it seems that nothing these days harms ducks, as evidenced by their burgeoning population.

2. The Town of Markham strongly advocates fishing everywhere in the Town. However, as part of a 1-year Swan Lake monitoring program in response to local concerns, we have placed signage around the lake to ban fishing as a conservative safety and temporary measure to prevent anglers from fishing until we learn more about the quality of the water in the Lake. We are now of the opinion that the ban on fishing shall be reduced to a ban on fish consumption only (i.e. catch and release only). Town staff are working on replacing the current signage with new ones that will allow fishing with no fish consumption.

We completely agree with you that fishing is a valued recreational activity and we are committed to ensuring that a healthy environment will protect our fish for decades to come.

Thank you for expressing your concerns and allowing us to respond and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Soran Sito, P.Eng.

Manager, Environmental Assets

Asset Management Department

Town of Markham

Hopefully those signs are replaced soon so we could get back to some good angling!

Giuga10

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - Jeremy Ray Green - 10-17-2012 09:28 PM

(10-17-2012 08:25 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  I read this on a couple of other forums and am ecstatic to hear this!

This was the document that was sent by many different people to the town of Markham regarding Swan Lake.

Dear Sir/Madam

I understand you have banned fishing in Southside Pond , Woodstock & Swan Lake, Markham . The reason being given is that fishing harms ducks. What evidence is there that fishing harms ducks? If this was the case Im sure the MNR would have surely banned all fishing in the Province of Ontario long ago?

Fishing from shore in small accesable community ponds give countless hours of recreational pleasure to youth, disabeled, aged and shore based anglers. To ban fishing at this site is a travesty. Shore based angling is an important recreational activity to countless citizens of your city.
Please lift this ban immediately so we can continue to enjoy fishing there.

Regards,

(your name)

And this was the reply that was sent back to one of the people.

Dear Mr. Vatter,

Thank you for your April 7, 2012 email regarding the fishing ban at Swan Lake. I would like to offer the following clarifications regarding some of the items mentioned in your email, as well as an explanation of the reasons behind the current ban on fishing at Swan Lake:

1. Fishing does not harm ducks as stated in your email. In fact, it seems that nothing these days harms ducks, as evidenced by their burgeoning population.

2. The Town of Markham strongly advocates fishing everywhere in the Town. However, as part of a 1-year Swan Lake monitoring program in response to local concerns, we have placed signage around the lake to ban fishing as a conservative safety and temporary measure to prevent anglers from fishing until we learn more about the quality of the water in the Lake. We are now of the opinion that the ban on fishing shall be reduced to a ban on fish consumption only (i.e. catch and release only). Town staff are working on replacing the current signage with new ones that will allow fishing with no fish consumption.

We completely agree with you that fishing is a valued recreational activity and we are committed to ensuring that a healthy environment will protect our fish for decades to come.

Thank you for expressing your concerns and allowing us to respond and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Soran Sito, P.Eng.

Manager, Environmental Assets

Asset Management Department

Town of Markham

Hopefully those signs are replaced soon so we could get back to some good angling!

Giuga10

Awesome everyone get your Fly rods and Canoes/Row Boats ready, there's rainbows in dem deep parts, lotsa catfish in that pond too, Never caught a carp there..
When that whole area was still a farm field, I used to walk a row boat and gear through the field to launch the boat, Was some good times and never once saw anyone was like being 5 hours up north Wink

Lets wait for them signs to change Wink ...

~Jeremy.

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - MichaelAngelo - 10-17-2012 09:32 PM

Wow this is fantastic news guys! Amazing find Giuga10.

Looking forward to some new waters and watching the sandpipers at swan lake Smile.

Now how about those fishing with no consumption signs... I'm sure a few other places would suit them Tongue

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - onwind - 10-17-2012 10:19 PM

amazing.

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - Giuga10 - 10-17-2012 10:52 PM

(10-17-2012 09:28 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  Awesome everyone get your Fly rods and Canoes/Row Boats ready, there's rainbows in dem deep parts, lotsa catfish in that pond too, Never caught a carp there..
When that whole area was still a farm field, I used to walk a row boat and gear through the field to launch the boat, Was some good times and never once saw anyone was like being 5 hours up north Wink

Lets wait for them signs to change Wink ...

~Jeremy.

Haha. I'm ready Tongue. OSF Meetup 2013 or sooner Tongue?

Giuga10

(10-17-2012 09:32 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Wow this is fantastic news guys! Amazing find Giuga10.

Looking forward to some new waters and watching the sandpipers at swan lake Smile.

Now how about those fishing with no consumption signs... I'm sure a few other places would suit them Tongue

I am literally gonna watch those signs every week Tongue I might even send an email to the town to see when they'll be taking them out.... They're making me impatient Tongue

Giuga10

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - onwind - 10-18-2012 12:14 AM

Where do you guys learn canoe?

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - Dseow - 10-18-2012 07:53 AM

Fishing with no consumption sign ... sounds just like what some people were talking about last night Tongue

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - Giuga10 - 10-18-2012 08:15 AM

(10-18-2012 07:53 AM)Dseow Wrote:  Fishing with no consumption sign ... sounds just like what some people were talking about last night Tongue

Haha, exactly Big Grin

Giuga10

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - MichaelAngelo - 10-18-2012 10:50 AM

(10-18-2012 12:14 AM)onwind Wrote:  Where do you guys learn canoe?

You don't have to learn it, just paddle paddle paddle Tongue. Just need 1 guy who knows how to steer.

A few years ago I was camping with some members of the school's Dragon Boat team. They challenged the rest of us to a canoe race and told us they'd "teach us how to paddle after then won". They sure knew how to paddle, and nobody on their team knew how to steer LOL. We won, easily Tongue. And they were sad. Big Grin

RE: Swan Lake Fishing Un-Banned - onwind - 10-18-2012 03:10 PM

BTW: Rainbow trout is not allowed to be fished in swan pond before the 4th Saturday of April next year.