You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Challenges as a shore fisherman
09-30-2013, 06:47 PM
RE: Challenges as a shore fisherman
(09-30-2013 06:26 PM)MRQturbo Wrote:  Biggest challenge is finding a decent spot to fish from shore...my honey hole for shore fishing is 400 kms away..almost close to Ottawa but been going there at least once a year and its always produced quality fish...just wished it were closer so I could go there more often..

Move to Ottawa Big Grin

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2013, 09:58 AM
(07-08-2013 09:49 AM)Dennis L. Mitchell Wrote:  There is a coffee shop by the river too!

We need a bar with a fishing deck.

Buuuurp...
Find all posts by this user
11-03-2013, 01:23 PM
When I first started fishing I thought to cover a lot of water as well but the fish are right under your nose stay in one spot and give it all you got try everything in your box something will work , went fishing with a friend of mine he could not believe how many times I changed my lure , its all in the presentation I said ( he laugh ) then I finally found the right one ( Fish On ) then another that was the ticket within an hour got my limit , he got nothing , but at the end of the day I did share my fish with him just that little thing makes a big difference I said to him , so now when we go out he changes more than me lol,,, Smile
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Fishchaser67 for this post:
shaikhzees (06-13-2014)
06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I use a 6' 6" Berkley rod with a Penn 6000...loaded with about +400 yds. of #30 braid...

I then slip a 3/8" x 1" long piece of surgical tubing (or use a large drinking straw ?) past my weight and hardware...to create an adjustable leader

Inflate and tie on a 12" rubber balloon (..not Mylar !!) to the tubing shuttle and cinch it tight ...

Add in a brisk offshore wind...and VOILA !!

I can put a fairly large lure....10' down...and send it 1/2 way across the harbour !!

LoL

Rx
09-08-2014, 05:15 AM
Now that I have started fishing from shore/pier - a disadvantage that I have noticed is having to pull your line out of the water to allow the boaters to pass.

I have noticed that there are more gentlemen boaters who wait to rev up their motors well after they pass the pier than the odd boater who don't wait - almost feels like they are giving all the shore fishers the finger as they create a big wake and make lots of noise!

But like many have already commented here - I don't have to worry about costs, boat launch, trailer etc... When I am done for the day, I just fold up my rod and grab my tackle bag and walk to my car and come home. But I do envy the people with a nice boat from time to time...
09-08-2014, 07:20 AM
(09-08-2014 05:15 AM)Boatless Wrote:  Now that I have started fishing from shore/pier - a disadvantage that I have noticed is having to pull your line out of the water to allow the boaters to pass.

I have noticed that there are more gentlemen boaters who wait to rev up their motors well after they pass the pier than the odd boater who don't wait - almost feels like they are giving all the shore fishers the finger as they create a big wake and make lots of noise!

But like many have already commented here - I don't have to worry about costs, boat launch, trailer etc... When I am done for the day, I just fold up my rod and grab my tackle bag and walk to my car and come home. But I do envy the people with a nice boat from time to time...

I am wondering if a back lead would help in these situations? after you cast out clip a half oz lead onto your line and let it slide down the line to the bottom of the water.. This will have your line pegged with some weight ant the front end and pegged near the shore with the back lead. Of course this is only useful fishing off the bottom.
09-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Hi zippyFX - thanks for the tip - I am just starting out using spoons and so I have to time my casts/retrieves with the early dawn boaters who pass by. I do see quite a few people who seem to still fish off the bottom - next time, I will ask them what technique they are using as still fishing looks very relaxing too.
09-09-2014, 02:23 PM
Then again - Ponder if you will the probable concentration, or the spookiness, of fish below any level of boat traffic in a Lake O port channel which are usually less than 3 or 4 meters deep.

Hmmmmmm.............

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi OldTimer,

That is an interesting point - I always wondered if the boats would spook the fish in a way that they would not bite - I will factor in your point when I go back this weekend and try different locations on the pier.
11-18-2014, 03:10 PM
(02-08-2012 11:49 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Some things come to mind.

-Shore fisherman can't cover as much water as a boat
To get around this go shore fishing with a friend and use the "leapfrog" approach down the shore

-More snags
Use cheaper lures, dollarama has lures. Use bait, nothing like bobber fishing with live minnows.

What else can you think of? How do you work around it?

manitoubass2 Wrote:Here are some tips I can offer. A few things to keep in mind, I fish an area where the water level, clarity and temp can change everyday, So I keep an eye on all details, and after a few years, have tried a heck of alot of techniques, lol.

In muddy water, use black lures or scented baits, or both. Also, in muddy water, lipless crank baits with rattles work well. Any bait that offers some visibility and water displacement, like a spinner bait can be the key.

Learn the current, and where to cast your offerings to get you into your "strike zone". Current, water flow and depth are key here. Only time and practicing will help you learn these.

A "drop shot" rig can work great for casting from shore. If you keep the line taught, it's basically a bottom bouncer.

When approaching a new area of water, put on a round head jig to learn the structure and depth. There cheap, and offer awesome sensitivity.

You don't always have to cast out. Work the shoreline with appropriate bait/lures. Big pike and smallies love the shoreline, and at the right time of year, so do walleye/sauger.

Use braid where you can. It gives you a sense of bottom structure, can offer abrasion resistance and help muscle in fish in awkward situations.

In current, use barrel swivels to prevent line twist. If your bait is twisting, your missing out on fish.

The palomar knot is your best friend, use it wherever you can.

use a 6'6" med. fast action rod where you can. It covers various situations, eliminating carrying too many rods.

Don't move around too often. Pick apart a spot, using everything you got. Make mental notes on the techniques, lures, weather, water level and clarity. Remember all this on every spot, it's important!

Be organized!!!!! It's just so much easier. And you won't miss as many fish or have breakoffs when you can't find your pliers.

Bring food, a healthy mind needs food.

I got more, but that enough for now...

more to come
(02-15-2012 02:37 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Absolutely rocking advice you have going manitoubass2. You should post it all in a new thread and it'd be another great sticky for future newcomers to see. This is what this forum's all about. =D

(02-14-2012 01:33 AM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  Don't move around too often. Pick apart a spot, using everything you got. Make mental notes on the techniques, lures, weather, water level and clarity. Remember all this on every spot, it's important!

Now this is totally opposite to what I've been focusing on. I've been focused on trying to cover as much water as possible =P Ironically this is the classic quantity over quality scenario lol.

Well covering water is a great technique for searching while trolling, or for tourny angling. But for a shore angler, it's a huge hassle, at least for me.

When I find a spot, you can usually tell if it will hold fish or not. If you think it will hold fish, fish it, and fish it hard. You'll learn more, and spend way less time trekking around and you can actually FISH!!! lol

You can't learn structure, the water, the surrounding species of fish, baitfish, forage etc without putting in the time on that given spot.

This is great advice. I'm new and can't just stop because its windy. I will be very windy this Thursday in Dalhousie. They say even 45km h/westernly. I'm i just nuts coming out to fish anyway? Or can it be done with the right tech, lures and luck?

Any advice other than stay home would be awesome.