You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to Choose a Rod
11-22-2017, 09:18 PM
RE: How to Choose a Rod
A heavier rod is not only for casting. There is concerns regarding fighting a large fish on a light rod in a conservation sense. A rod that is too soft (eg. ML) cannot bring in a larger fish quick enough to minimize stress. An over-stressed fish might release seemingly fine, but they can succumb to lactic acid buildup and die a few hours later.

Another issue with light rod plus heavy line is that, should there be a failure, the rod will break first because it was not designed to tolerate the excess tension of the line vs. the torque on the rod.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2018, 03:56 PM
I agree with one of the previous posts, I would go with a 7' Medium Fast Action rod like a HMG or HMX, depends on your budget. These rods come with a terrific warranty. I would also consider a 7' MH Moderate action rod, the mod action may be more forgiving for treble hook baits (moving), I'd stick with the Fenwicks. If budget wasn't an option I would move up to a St. Croix Bass X, Shimano Exage or something along those lines. I hear good things about Berkley Lighting rods, which is a more cost effective option. For reference, my buddy caught a 40" Pike (20lber) on a HMG (2018 model) paired with a 2500 Shimano Stradic.

No one mentioned reels, if you prefer spinning tackle, you don't really have any options in when it comes to IPT. Generally all spinning gear ratios are from 4.9-6.0.1. Now if you can spend the time to learn how to use a bait-caster, or if you already know, I would reco a 6.3.1 or 7.3.1 reel to cover the spectrum. I have a 8.1.1 Daiwa Fuego I got off Cabela's that's paired with a Heavy X fast rod which I use for pitching/jigs/swimbait/frog. The retrieval speed is critical for jig and frog fishing but will ruin the action on a hard-body swim-bait as it's too fast. I just slow my retrieve down to a crawl for these techniques. Hope that helps.
Find all posts by this user
08-20-2018, 01:51 AM
Plz help me (and excuse me if i could not write clearly, english is not my first language):
I am a newbie. I did sunfish for the last couple of years with 15$ southbend walmart rods. this yr i have started doing carp (yes we eat carp) and need your suggestion. i drop my bait from a bridge (so i can see the area is clean of debris), use corn with braid 50lbs with a very basic abu garcia rod that i bought for 5$ from a thrift store. now today 3 big carp severed my line and ran away. i realized i made mistakes like didn't open the drag button on time (so line severed right away), did open drag button (so carp took all the line before i could control and tore the last knot to run away), i tried to stop the line at the last end (it tore the line again, may be reel was not holding enough braid). braid was becoming very fragile for some reason (but it was brand new). i decided i need to get into 'real' rods and things. So here is what i will be doing and i need:
a. will try catching carp (8--10 kg), sucker (2kg)
b. will drop bait from a river bridge using 1.5oz sinker and Mushtad curved size 2 hook
c. dont plan for other types of ishes, at least not for now

i need:
a. suggestion for a rod with complete accessories (rod, reel, line) for 10 kg carps
b. best source
c. not to be cheapo but would be nicer to remain economic

thanks in advance
08-20-2018, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 09:28 AM by zippyFX.)
I would do the rounds and shop for a Medium Heavy rod if you are targeting fish of that size. I would go with 20-40 lb braid and use a mono leader (30lbs) for abrasion resistance. The longer the rod the more control you will have. I would look for a longer rod (about 7ft).

If you buy an MH combo the reel should be suitable for carp.

Getting a carp that size up a bridge will difficult depending on height. I would recommend you look for a landing spot.

Sounds like you had very little line. Your drag needs to be balanced so that it gives when the fish is fighting to protect the line and rod and to tire it out. If it to loose the carp looses no energy.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
spiderman6 (08-20-2018)
08-20-2018, 09:24 AM
I would also add that, for suckers, a #2 hook may be too large. I usually use a # 10. Also, is it your line breaking or your knot failing? I can't see a carp breaking 50lb braid unless it's really rubbing against something with a sharp edge. If you're tying the hook directly to the braid, I recommend a palomar knot which is very easy to tie. Other knots have a tendency to slip with braided line.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Fossil Fish for this post:
spiderman6 (08-20-2018)
08-20-2018, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 01:32 PM by spiderman6.)
(08-20-2018 08:12 AM)zippyFX Wrote:  I would do the rounds and shop for a Medium Heavy rod if you are targeting fish of that size. I would go with 20-40 lb braid and use a mono leader (30lbs) for abrasion resistance. The longer the rod the more control you will have. I would look for a longer rod (about 7ft).

If you buy an MH combo the reel should be suitable for carp.

Getting a carp that size up a bridge will difficult depending on height. I would recommend you look for a landing spot.

Sounds like you had very little line. Your drag needs to be balanced so that it gives when the fish is fighting to protect the line and rod and to tire it out. If it to loose the carp looses no energy.

Thanks. We found a landing spot by the end of the bridge. So that should not have been an issue if I could keep the fish with the line. Can a 30lbs mono leader handle a 20 lbs carp, especially when it is fighting for life? I think these carps put force way higher than their weight. Also what length some1 should be loading on wheel when fishing carp from a bridge in trent river? Also any specific brand of braid, wheel and rod u suggest?
(08-20-2018 09:24 AM)Fossil Fish Wrote:  I would also add that, for suckers, a #2 hook may be too large. I usually use a # 10. Also, is it your line breaking or your knot failing? I can't see a carp breaking 50lb braid unless it's really rubbing against something with a sharp edge. If you're tying the hook directly to the braid, I recommend a palomar knot which is very easy to tie. Other knots have a tendency to slip with braided line.

Thanks. For sucker i use a size 6 and the lines were not breaking. With carps it did. Mostly because of my inexperience. In 1 case, I could see carp eating the bait and started running, before I could hold my joy and release the wheel/drag, the fish just broke the line near hook in split seconds (may be abrasion damage played a role as it was 50lbs braided).
08-20-2018, 01:53 PM
(08-20-2018 01:51 AM)spiderman6 Wrote:  Plz help me (and excuse me if i could not write clearly, english is not my first language):
I am a newbie. I did sunfish for the last couple of years with 15$ southbend walmart rods. this yr i have started doing carp (yes we eat carp) and need your suggestion. i drop my bait from a bridge (so i can see the area is clean of debris), use corn with braid 50lbs with a very basic abu garcia rod that i bought for 5$ from a thrift store. now today 3 big carp severed my line and ran away. i realized i made mistakes like didn't open the drag button on time (so line severed right away), did open drag button (so carp took all the line before i could control and tore the last knot to run away), i tried to stop the line at the last end (it tore the line again, may be reel was not holding enough braid). braid was becoming very fragile for some reason (but it was brand new). i decided i need to get into 'real' rods and things. So here is what i will be doing and i need:
a. will try catching carp (8--10 kg), sucker (2kg)
b. will drop bait from a river bridge using 1.5oz sinker and Mushtad curved size 2 hook
c. dont plan for other types of ishes, at least not for now

i need:
a. suggestion for a rod with complete accessories (rod, reel, line) for 10 kg carps
b. best source
c. not to be cheapo but would be nicer to remain economic

thanks in advance

Here's a link on how to tie the knot mentioned by @Fossil
https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/palomar-knot
make sure you use an arbour knot to tie your line to your reel.
https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/arbor-knot

You should be able to buy a Shakespeare Uglystick @ Canadian Tire, Wal-mart, BassPro or Cabela's. I reco a 7 foot Medium or (Medium Heavy) Fast action rod. These rods are impossible to break, should be around $50.

I can't believe that a carp broke your 50lb braid line, if you go to a shop life BPS or Cabela's they'll but the line on for you. I think braid is overkill for this type of species, but others can chime in and correct. Sufix Siege 14 or 16lb mono line should do wonders, this stuff is super tough and cheap. $10 for 330 yards, which should be good for 2 spinning reels.

You can get a Shimano Sienna 2500 spinning reel at any shop I mentioned above, they're around $50-60.

$120 all in and you should be set. If you must have braid add $20 to that.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Dangerfield for this post:
spiderman6 (08-20-2018)
08-20-2018, 03:54 PM
You should be able to buy a Shakespeare Uglystick @ Canadian Tire, Wal-mart, BassPro or Cabela's. I reco a 7 foot Medium or (Medium Heavy) Fast action rod. These rods are impossible to break, should be around $50.
Thanks. A bit baffled now between st corix and uglystick………………

I can't believe that a carp broke your 50lb braid line, if you go to a shop life BPS or Cabela's they'll but the line on for you. I think braid is overkill for this type of species, but others can chime in and correct. Sufix Siege 14 or 16lb mono line should do wonders, this stuff is super tough and cheap. $10 for 330 yards, which should be good for 2 spinning reels.
Trust me they did 3 times yesterday. I think abrasion on the leading end played a role but 1 line was brand-new yesterday. May be my drag was not correct or I failed to unlock the reel on time. Do u guys unlock the reel after dropping the bait to minimize that precious one or 2 seconds need to unlock the reel?
08-20-2018, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 06:25 PM by cutuzov.)
Yes 50 pound test line broken more then once is strange. You might consider checking you rod guides for sharp edges or cracked inserts.
From your explanation i am assuming you use a bottom rig without leader with the fairly heavy sinker above the hook . Is there any bumpers between the hook and sinker like beads or swivels ?
I did lot of carping this year. The rod/reel combos( 50-60$ Canadian tire staff) I am using for carp all outfitted with 20-30 pound test braid, Leaders are 20 pound braid. I am using Hair Rig setup. The drag is always set the tightest on the reels. This bastards are tending to run into snags. The biggest carp i landed this year was well over 35 pounds. Got my worn off leader broken once in maybe 30-35 outings.
[Image: img_1324.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cutuzov for this post:
spiderman6 (08-20-2018)
08-20-2018, 10:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2018 10:40 PM by spiderman6.)
(08-20-2018 06:23 PM)cutuzov Wrote:  From your explanation i am assuming you use a bottom rig without leader with the fairly heavy sinker above the hook . Is there any bumpers between the hook and sinker like beads or swivels ?
I dont know that much, just a bass casting 1.5oz sinker tied up at the leading end and about a foot after that the Mustad size 3 octopus hook or size 1 circle hook. no bumper in between.
I did lot of carping this year. The rod/reel combos( 50-60$ Canadian tire staff) I am using for carp all outfitted with 20-30 pound test braid, Leaders are 20 pound braid.
Is adding a leader must for my kinda setup? i just need to catch 1 or 2 with corns.
I am using Hair Rig setup. The drag is always set the tightest on the reels. This bastards are tending to run into snags. The biggest carp i landed this year was well over 35 pounds. Got my worn off leader broken once in maybe 30-35 outings.
[Image: img_1324.jpg]

guys i went to Sail and probably did overkill. cant blame me after 3 runaways of yesterday. so bought a shimano MH fast action 9' rod, 50lbs 300yrds pro web braid line. i may continue using the bass casting sinkers. also bought a shimano sedona 8000 reel (yes way overkill but...). now after getting back home i discovered this reel does not have a reverse lock or button. I am not sure how to fish without that feature. I can return the reel but not sure if in that range there is any reel with a reverse function. thinking if a cant setup that feature carps may brake the line by the time i release the bail + fish may get a drag less free run. your ideas plz?