You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

California Trip Suggestions
07-31-2012, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012 08:19 AM by MikeH.)
RE: California Trip Suggestions
OK....Big Grin

Going from Las Vegas to Williams you will cross the new bridge at Hoover dam, stop and do the walk onto the top, its amazing!

10 miles south on the AZ side from the Hoover Dam you will pass Willow Beach on your right, my "local" az fishing hole. They have a floating fishing dock and boat rentals. Every Friday they release trout from the hatchery there, and lots of big stripers come in to feed for the weekend.

Several people have told me that Williams Arizona itself is a good base for a fishing hotspot, about a dozen local lakes, bass and trout. (GOOGLE) I have fished several places in the grand Canyon, (most recently angel creek, on the north rim though, nowhere near flagstaff or Williams)

Palm springs, head south to Salton Sea, large landlocked saltwater lake (do some inland saltwater fishing!). There was a fishing pier at the recreation area (try google) I wasn't driving so I dont remember the exact route. We caught tilapia there!

Los Angeles - Aside from the ocean piers, theres a huge urban fishing scene in LA. I have fished right downtown in LA when I was there on a conference trip. Caught some decent Carp (Echo Park or lake?) Google LA fishing piers and resovoirs and storm ponds.

Never had the chance to fish in San diego, despite being there four or five times, let me know what you find!

Definitely check out Bass Pro when you are in the SouthWest, Doesnt sound like you will be anywhere near the Vegas one (south at Blue Diamond) but of you can get to one, will find a ton of plastics and lures that we cant get here. For sea fishing I usually buy a medium, or medium heavy rod reel combo from Bass Pro for under $50 bucks, fish the bejeezus out of it for a week and then give it to a local kid when I leave. Unlikely that you will find a rental for less.

For rivers and lakes I pack a decent telescopic, like the Exage.

EDIT* Looks like I will be working in San Jose for at least a week in August, so I'll be checking out the San Fran fishing scene!

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: California Trip Suggestions - MikeH - 07-31-2012 07:59 AM
RE: California Trip Suggestions - MikeH - 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: California Trip Suggestions - OldTimer - 08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
RE: California Trip Suggestions - MikeH - 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM
RE: California Trip Suggestions - OldTimer - 08-04-2012, 07:02 AM