You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Treat all fishes equally.
10-28-2012, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 06:59 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Treat all fishes equally.
LOL. No, I'll still pi$$ off all the people who shore fish for salmon, trout and carp Big Grin

If I can press that magic button enough times, maybe we can go back to the days when Lake Sturgeon population was so strong it had supported a commercial fishery in Lake Ontario, where Lake Sturgeon used to run up the Don! (Yes, as in the Don River in Toronto!)

Just imagine...drool...

Those sturgeon would make a chinook salmon feel like a child's play Big Grin And maybe we can use a whole fillet of Atlantic Salmon to catch these big sturgeon...you know...BC stylez Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2012, 06:57 PM
(10-28-2012 06:53 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  LOL.

If I can press that magic button enough times, maybe we can go back to the days when Lake Sturgeon population was so strong it had supported a commercial fishery in Lake Ontario, where Lake Sturgeon used to run up the Don! (Yes, as in the Don River in Toronto!)

Just imagine...drool...

Those sturgeon would make a chinook salmon feel like a child's play Big Grin And maybe we can use a whole fillet of Atlantic Salmon to catch these big sturgeon...you know...BC stylez Wink

Can I still press that button... Ken you're making me drool Tongue

Giuga10
10-28-2012, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 07:08 PM by MuskieBait.)
Yeah, you can press it too...and we'll go back to a time when the American eel is a very common catch. Wink

Damn, I'd take fillets of eel over walleye ANY DAY!!! Do it up in unagi style or grill them and I'll eat until my gut burst open Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
10-28-2012, 09:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 09:11 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Had we grown up with a fishery like that, we wouldn't appreciate it. Imagine 1000 years from now, if there are any fish left in Lake Ontario... kids from the future are going to be drooling over what we have right NOW...

LOL

Also, the experience of a fishery like that would not be in isolation. Give up the City of Toronto and a few of your favorite technologies too Tongue.

[Image: logobgs.png]
10-29-2012, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 07:03 AM by OldTimer.)
WOW........... I think I want my button back.................smile

Edit: I'll getcha one of these instead.....smile:

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
10-31-2012, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 05:11 PM by OldTimer.)
(10-28-2012 09:09 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Had we grown up with a fishery like that, we wouldn't appreciate it. Imagine 1000 years from now, if there are any fish left in Lake Ontario... kids from the future are going to be drooling over what we have right NOW...

LOL

Yes .........the fishing was better in certain areas before you were born MA.

However I experienced how pretty shitty the fishing was in the Toronto and "Golden Horseshoe" areas of Southern Ontario in the early 1970's.

No salmon, just a few rainbow, no browns, lake trout were rare. Lake Erie was actually declared "Dead". Hamilton harbour was an acid dump. The Niagara River was toxic. The Grand River was basically a cesspool with both sewage and massive nutrient pollution. Acid rain was killing lakes in Northern Ontario at amazing speed.

Major improvements to fishing have occurred in this area since then.

Many are way to quick to be critical and condemning of the MNR and the efforts of the many angling groups. All this is IMPROVING THINGS.

Just this past weekend you and others participated in a program that would not be possible without MNR sanction, blessing, and support.

Things to ponder........................

Never know............might get better yet................

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
10-31-2012, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 10:16 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
You're right OT, I'm thinking doomsday for the future of fishing... but things might just be getting better in some areas. I love fishing for stocked fish, but it would be a treat to some if the Ministry could focus on restoration instead of providing entertainment. I know, I know Alewife control... lol

Lake O now has nice populations of salmonoids that "shouldn't be there". For things to go back to the "good old days"... they're only in the way. Solving the problem of an introduced fish (Alewife) by introducing another fish (chinook).... Confused... not the most ideal solution for the long term. I mean, long, long term.

I'm just too transfixed on the legends of Atlantic salmon, brook trout, walleye and rainbow darters...

[Image: logobgs.png]
11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
(10-31-2012 10:12 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I'm just too transfixed on the legends of Atlantic salmon, brook trout, walleye and rainbow darters...

Lol aren't we all? Wink

Giuga10
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
(10-31-2012 10:12 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Lake O now has nice populations of salmonoids that "shouldn't be there". For things to go back to the "good old days"... they're only in the way. Solving the problem of an introduced fish (Alewife) by introducing another fish (chinook).... Confused... not the most ideal solution for the long term. I mean, long, long term.

I'm just too transfixed on the legends of Atlantic salmon, brook trout, walleye and rainbow darters...

It took the collective efforts of us and our forefathers to mess things up ....... over a century. There is no magic button to snap things back in a twinkle. As I said before "long term problems require long term solutions".

The MNR can only work within their responsibilities and jurisdiction as authorized. A lot of work still needs to be done on better pollution control, and planned population densities and locations.

Your grandchildren will most likely see natural Atlantic Salmon in our local rivers, or perhaps catch a resident walleye in Hamilton's bay. But I'd doubt that your great-great grandchildren will see a natural brook trout in the lower great lakes.

On the salmonoid thing - stop ALL stocking and support of Pacific salmon in Lake Ontario and I'd guess they'd cycle down to almost zip within 4 generations.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.