You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A Recent Tie
02-22-2013, 05:17 PM
A Recent Tie
Hey Guys,

I recently tied this green nymph. I know a few others here are into fly fishing so I'd thought I'd share this one. The head is a little messed up but I still think it will work. I included all the materials below the picture if anyone wants to try their hand at it, it's pretty easy.

[Image: 12254789.png]

Thread: Uni-Thread 6/0 - Black (Green would be better)
Hook: White River size 10 nymph hook (got at BPS)

Tail: Green Hackle Fibers - Length of the hook shank
Abdomen: Green tubing (don't know the name or size, got it in a kit) - 2/3 of the hook shank
Thorax: Died Green Hare's Ear Dubbing - 1/3 of the hook shank
Wing Case: Peacock Hearl
Legs: Green Hackle cut to length of hook gap

Lets see some flies you guys tied!

TOFishingNoob
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2013, 04:24 PM
RE: A Recent Tie
Nice fly - the body material (tubing) looks similar to "Swandaze" which I've used in the past - it was a solid oval cross section wrapping material - but I believe it's gone out of production.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
TOFishingNoob (02-23-2013)
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
(02-23-2013 04:24 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Nice fly - the body material (tubing) looks similar to "Swandaze" which I've used in the past - it was a solid oval cross section wrapping material - but I believe it's gone out of production.

OT

Thanks for the reply Old Timer!

"Swandaze" does look quite similar to the tubing I was using, however, I wasn't using Swandaze. Swandaze would work quite nicely though on this variant.

Do you tie your own flies?
02-23-2013, 07:06 PM
(02-23-2013 06:01 PM)TOFishingNoob Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 04:24 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Nice fly - the body material (tubing) looks similar to "Swandaze" which I've used in the past - it was a solid oval cross section wrapping material - but I believe it's gone out of production.

OT

Thanks for the reply Old Timer!

"Swandaze" does look quite similar to the tubing I was using, however, I wasn't using Swandaze. Swandaze would work quite nicely though on this variant.

Do you tie your own flies?

I've tied a few along the way. Great hobby, and way better than store bought too.

OT

See you on the river.
TOFishingNoob (02-23-2013)
02-23-2013, 07:23 PM
(02-23-2013 07:06 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  I've tied a few along the way. Great hobby, and way better than store bought too.

OT

That's awesome! Do you have any photos of your flies? I tied a "Casual Dress" nymph today. It looks good, but I can't get a good photo...
02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...12#pid5712

See you on the river.
TOFishingNoob (02-24-2013)
02-24-2013, 09:35 AM
(02-24-2013 08:31 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...12#pid5712

Neat Thread! Thanks for showing me. I like your ties...
02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
When I was quite active tying flies I found myself looking at every scrap of yarn, thread, wire, feathers imagining what I could make with them.

At that time I also was lucky enough to have many friends who hunted regularly - lots of freebies there. My favourites being the wild turkey feathers for my endless experimentation re: variations of muddler minnows.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
TOFishingNoob (02-24-2013)
02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
(02-24-2013 04:39 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  When I was quite active tying flies I found myself looking at every scrap of yarn, thread, wire, feathers imagining what I could make with them.

Thanks god! Now I know I'm not abnormal! Big Grin I found a piece of yarn from a baseball that was run over by a lawnmower and the inside was a yarn material. Needless to say I went home with a ton of yarn from the inside of the baseball. I started by putting my hook in a pair of pliers elastic banded closed, held between my legs, using sewing thread.

(02-24-2013 04:39 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  At that time I also was lucky enough to have many friends who hunted regularly - lots of freebies there. My favourites being the wild turkey feathers for my endless experimentation re: variations of muddler minnows.

Same! I know a few older guys who hunt turkeys and rabbits. I've got feathers from the turkeys but no hare's ear yet... Big Grin

The muddler minnow is still on I got to learn, seems hard... Big Grin
02-25-2013, 08:33 AM
(02-24-2013 10:22 PM)TOFishingNoob Wrote:  The muddler minnow is still on I got to learn, seems hard... Big Grin

I found getting the spun deer hair head and collar just so, and symetrical, was the most difficult part to do well.

also - I found it very handy to have several different perpective photos available of a completed fly - when it came time to trim the head - to avoid my usual over board clipping & removal of the hair.

OT

See you on the river.
TOFishingNoob (02-25-2013)