You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Snaps or Tie-on
02-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Snaps or Tie-on
I've always used a snap swivel to both reduce line-twist and make lure changes a snap (sorry yes bad pun haha).

Does anyone swear by direct tie-on? In this case, do you swear by a swivel up the line to prevent line twist?

If you're going with leader material a swivel is pretty much a given.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
RE: Snaps or Tie-on
(02-18-2012 09:29 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I've always used a snap swivel to both reduce line-twist and make lure changes a snap (sorry yes bad pun haha).

Does anyone swear by direct tie-on? In this case, do you swear by a swivel up the line to prevent line twist?

Snap swivels are so convenient for a quick lure change and I always have a few in my box. However, I think a lot of guys use fluorocarbon leaders with a barrel swivel, which can be fast to change too, especially seeing as I usually have a problem with getting snap swivels open haha.
Find all posts by this user
02-21-2012, 04:25 AM
(02-19-2012 03:12 PM)Frank81 Wrote:  
(02-18-2012 09:29 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I've always used a snap swivel to both reduce line-twist and make lure changes a snap (sorry yes bad pun haha).

Snap swivels are so convenient for a quick lure change and I always have a few in my box. However, I think a lot of guys use fluorocarbon leaders with a barrel swivel, which can be fast to change too, especially seeing as I usually have a problem with getting snap swivels open haha.

and fluorocarbon is common leader material because of its low visibility. i think I'm getting the hang of it hahaha

03-10-2012, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 05:53 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
I've been using a snap swivel (size 14, smallest I could find) for about a year. Would my presentation greatly improve if I switched to a fluro leader from a barrel swivel and tied on directly?

03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I've never been a big user of snap swivels thinking that the KISS approach perhaps is better for me in my style of fishing.

Snap swivels can improve action or sometimes ruin it - depends on the lure. For example - I have found that original "Rapala" style baits track better and spin less tied on directly...... while at the same time lipless cranks (Like a Rattlin Rap) seem to perform better with a swivel.

Less visible hardware really does equal more interest from our finned friends.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo da Vinci

Cheers,

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Good points OT.

If your changing lures often to find which one will be effective, I'd use a snap swivel. Once you find a lure thats working, tie directly, if appropriate.

Many lures, like previously stated, work better one way or the other.

A barrel
swivel should be used to prevent line twist if your using a leader or tied direct (in most cases)

If your fishing current, the snap swivel generally will not negatively effect the action on most lures.

Don't use snap swivels for jigs, tie direct for sure.

Experiment, find what works best for you.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-12-2012)
03-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Right on............. I'm with you on the jigs... plus tubes being tied directly.

Top water baits (chuggers/poppers) also are better tied on directly - unless you wish to spent a lot of time getting the gang hooks untangled from the snap or swivel (after wasting a cast).

But then, I would comment that a spoon with no split ring really needs a snap to be used.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-12-2012)
03-12-2012, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 03:57 PM by manitoubass2.)
(03-12-2012 03:49 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Right on............. I'm with you on the jigs... plus tubes being tied directly.

Top water baits (chuggers/poppers) also are better tied on directly - unless you wish to spent a lot of time getting the gang hooks untangled from the snap or swivel (after wasting a cast).

But then, I would comment that a spoon with no split ring really needs a snap to be used.

Yep, exactly, I totally agree.

Same for bass style spinnerbaits, no snap swivels or you'll spend more time fouled up then fishing.
03-12-2012, 04:24 PM
I use a barrel swivel and a flourocarbon leader for fishing walleye and never have a problem with line twist.
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone uses a wire leader with husky jerks, because with the wire leader I found them to sink too quickly, and suspension was much better when tied directly on (although it did rise a bit).