You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

A Recent Tie
02-25-2013, 11:13 AM
RE: A Recent Tie
Nice nymph, what's the name of the original pattern? Should be good for bass and pannies.

When I started tying back in 93-94 or something, my heads were too big too. Just like in the course, a couple of turns is enough to hold the material down. When you get into smaller hooks excess turns will really show, even with 8/0. More is not always better.....lol.

Keep at it we'll hit that pond by you and nail them bass.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to grubman for this post:
TOFishingNoob (02-25-2013)
02-25-2013, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 06:20 PM by TOFishingNoob.)
(02-25-2013 08:33 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  I found getting the spun deer hair head and collar just so, and symetrical, was the most difficult part to do well.

also - I found it very handy to have several different perpective photos available of a completed fly - when it came time to trim the head - to avoid my usual over board clipping & removal of the hair.

OT

I'm pretty good at spinning deer hair, I learned when I tied a few bombers... But like you I over trimmed one side then had to cut back on the other side.

Thanks for the tip of taking photos. It will help for sure.
(02-25-2013 11:13 AM)grubman Wrote:  Nice nymph, what's the name of the original pattern? Should be good for bass and pannies.
NO NAME! Big Grin I made this sucker up. I want to tie it in size 14 for pannies. You got a name for it?

(02-25-2013 11:13 AM)grubman Wrote:  When I started tying back in 93-94 or something, my heads were too big too. Just like in the course, a couple of turns is enough to hold the material down. When you get into smaller hooks excess turns will really show, even with 8/0. More is not always better.....lol.
Ya, I need to remember all the stuff we learned! Let me know when you do the intermediate class, cause I will be into to it for sure! Big Grin

(02-25-2013 11:13 AM)grubman Wrote:  Keep at it we'll hit that pond by you and nail them bass.
That'd be awesome! Big Grin We'd give the people there a shock with our fly rods... But seriously that place is awesome for swinging the fly, it's got more then a few places with enough room to fly fish and it's small enough that a 25 foot cast or so will get it done.
02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
[/quote]
NO NAME! Big Grin I made this sucker up. I want to tie it in size 14 for pannies. You got a name for it?
Name it after the place you go...........Big Grin

Ya, I need to remember all the stuff we learned! Let me know when you do the intermediate class, cause I will be into to it for sure! Big Grin
I think we decide what they teach. There can be several Intermediate classes, one for tying wings, parachutes, spinning hair......etc. We just have to agree on the same topic and tell them this is what we want to learn or have had problems tying. Just a warning, it can get expensive.....Confused We did awesome, Hugo said most people don't have time to finish the second fly but we had time to spare for Sheldon's stories and tips and our questions (mostly mine....lol).

That'd be awesome! Big Grin We'd give the people there a shock with our fly rods... But seriously that place is awesome for swinging the fly, it's got more then a few places with enough room to fly fish and it's small enough that a 25 foot cast or so will get it done.
[/quote]
Kewl......lol. And it's so close too.
02-26-2013, 02:26 AM
I've never found a good waterboatman fly. Most look so fake with rubber paddles. Not attractive or realistic at all. So this is my first try. I used a short piece of tinsel as a throat to imitate a air bubble. It's weighted so it will sink quickly so that when I make short quick strips the biots will move. I hope it works......lol.    
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to grubman for this post:
TOFishingNoob (02-26-2013)