You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Angler's Knives
09-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Angler's Knives
Ok – here’s a question for all of you anglers out there:

What are your “favourite and best end result” fish fillet knife and fish steaking knife?........... (two separate types of knives).

?

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2012, 04:54 PM
RE: Angler's Knives
I have an older 12" fillet knife that was gifted to me by my ex-roommate (not related to any knife involved incident Tongue). It was a knife made in Finland but the brand name has worn off. It doesn't have a sharp tip but the edge is pretty good. I like to use that to fillet larger fish.

Then one day I was at a parking lot on this particular stream. It was 5am and it was still a little dark. I was just putting on my waders when I looked down and my headlamp show on a knife blade about 1" from my bootie foot waders. Yikes! It was a 4" rapala knife without a protective sheath and my foot was just 1" away from being cut (edge was pointed upward). I looked around and no one was around...so finders-keepers. I had been using it since and I like it.

I don't have a steaking knife...I don't usually steak fish...but when I need to, I just make a cut on both side and snap the spine.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
12-09-2012, 05:13 PM
I have half a dozen different fillet knifes, and at least that again in hunting knives or lockblades- but here’s my three favorite knives for fish:

Rapala rechargeable fillet knife – it’s great when you have a lot of fish to clean. It comes with 2 batteries so you never run outta juice as long as you keep them charged. I use it for taking off the fillets, but then use the manual knife below to remove the ribs and skin as I actually find the electric a bit too fast for those operations.

Old style wooden handle stainless Rapala fillet knife, this one’s cleaned many hundreds of fish and is still going in spite of a lot of the blade being ground away.

Lee Valley Peasant knife – great for steaking or just removing the head and tail - for fish you want whole and not filleted. High carbon steel blade sharpens easy and then holds the edge well. They discolour naturally unlike stainless blades. I use this knife a lot in the kitchen too for the heavy work because of its’ big chunky handle and thick blade.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
12-09-2012, 08:40 PM
I've always liked that Old Style Wooden Rapala.

Giuga10
12-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Tried using the electric fillet knife on the turkey last night --- did an awesome job and quick too!

OT

See you on the river.