You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Anyone use a automatic fishing reel?
07-09-2014, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 07:28 AM by Aquaneko.)
Anyone use a automatic fishing reel?
Thinking of getting some for a zombie survival fishing kit or snare trap kit when on lane use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZi3Vh1b-nM

A seller giving a good explanation of the difference of both units. I am leaning more towards the stainless steel model for worry free issues from rust be it from forgetting to dry it when in storage or in water a lot.

In a survival situation I likely will not be around tending the reel and doing other tasks however for fishing in a non survival situation it allows you to do something else like reading, working on your knots, or talking with other people, cooking, etc without having to keep your eye on it all the time.

I asked some guys working at Reptillia about using the auto reels when fishing when they were carp fishing at Mill Pond a week ago and the reception and response I got from them was more of a thinking the automatic reel is for poaching if you are not by the reel but after explaining the that you could be around it while doing other stuff they still frowned on it as they were fishing for sport/challenge and saw it as no challenge.

Can auto reels be used for fishing in a non survival use? If so I assume the 1 rod/max 3 hooks rule applies so if you could use it I would try it out with 1-3 hooks to test it out to preflight my gear before putting it into my survival kit knowing it works and how it works then learning how to use the gear during a survival situation.

Awesome ice fishing setup.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 08:39 AM
RE: Anyone use a automatic fishing reel?
I believe snaring is not a legal means of recreational fishing in Ontario.

Automatic fishing reels may be illegal in Ontario:

"Possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30m (98ft.)
of any waters. A spring gaff includes any device which uses a
mechanical spring, other than the fishing rod under tension, to
set the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a gaff,
snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff, may
be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means. "
07-09-2014, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2014 04:49 PM by MuskieBait.)
If you are in a real survival situation, a simple spool of line will do just fine. You really don't need gadgets. Take some 20lb mono, put a hook and weight on the line, bait it up, swing and toss it out, then tie the line to a tree. Done. If a fish really wants to take the bait, it will hook itself.

For the $30 you pay for this yo-yo reel, you can get 3 spool of 20lb Berkley Big Game (500+ yards per spool). You're talking zombie situation? The 1500 yards from the 3 spools will last you long enough until they kill off all the zombies or until they find a cure.

Plus, as Zippy mentioned, the yo-yo sounds illegal to use in Ontario.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-14-2014, 03:37 PM
(07-09-2014 07:26 AM)Aquaneko Wrote:  Thinking of getting some for a zombie survival fishing kit or snare trap kit when on lane use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZi3Vh1b-nM

A seller giving a good explanation of the difference of both units. I am leaning more towards the stainless steel model for worry free issues from rust be it from forgetting to dry it when in storage or in water a lot.

In a survival situation I likely will not be around tending the reel and doing other tasks however for fishing in a non survival situation it allows you to do something else like reading, working on your knots, or talking with other people, cooking, etc without having to keep your eye on it all the time.

I asked some guys working at Reptillia about using the auto reels when fishing when they were carp fishing at Mill Pond a week ago and the reception and response I got from them was more of a thinking the automatic reel is for poaching if you are not by the reel but after explaining the that you could be around it while doing other stuff they still frowned on it as they were fishing for sport/challenge and saw it as no challenge.

Can auto reels be used for fishing in a non survival use? If so I assume the 1 rod/max 3 hooks rule applies so if you could use it I would try it out with 1-3 hooks to test it out to preflight my gear before putting it into my survival kit knowing it works and how it works then learning how to use the gear during a survival situation.

Awesome ice fishing setup.

Yo-Yo reels, snaring and all methods you describe are totally illegal in Ontario and their use most likely would result in multiple charges and fines.

Here's the section from the 2014 Ontario regs:

I also strongly believe that they are illegal all across Canada.

Not cool.

Regards,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Yes - they are illegal in all of Canada.