You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bass in the city
07-23-2013, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 07:35 PM by ifish.)
RE: Bass in the city
Eh Guys,
So you all know I am a newbie to this site.....did the intro thingy and then started browsing the forum.......... and wowo great information! Learning so much about the shore fishing opportunities we have around the city. Anyway, I stumbled across this thread and as luck would have it....during work today I drove by this area and wanted to check out this spot for myself. I did not have time to actually fish as I was technically working. I did manage to survey the body of water and noticed many things that would suggest bass dwelling here as seen in previous post pictures. The pond here has many deep sections with made reefs great for bass to feed along and lots of dead trees in the water on the perimeter providing great coverage for the fish. There is an abundance of algae in the water providing smaller creatures to feed on which in turn Bass feed on them. I think I am going to try this place out in the next few upcoming weekends.......thanks for sharing with us Wayne..........but lets keep it a forum secret. Loll. I wonder if anyone knows though how the bass were introduced into this body of water.....wonder if the MNR did something here in conjunction with the city of Brampton?? Never the less, great spot to try out and hopefully I will be posting a picture myself.

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2013, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2013 07:11 PM by john20000.)
(07-23-2013 12:40 PM)ifish Wrote:  Eh Guys,
So you all know I am a newbie to this site.....did the intro thingy and then started browsing the forum.......... and wowo great information! Learning so much about the shore fishing opportunities we have around the city. Anyway, I stumbled across this thread and has luck would have it....during work today I drove by this area and wanted to check out this spot for myself. I did not have time to actually fish as I was technically working. I did managed to survey the body of water and noticed many things that would suggest bass dwelling here as seen in previous post pictures. The pond here has many deep sections with made reefs great for bass to feed along and lots of dead trees in the water on the perimeter providing great coverage for the fish. There is an abundance of algae in the water providing smaller creatures to feed on which in turn Bass feed on them. I think I am going to try this place out in the next few upcoming weekends.......thanks for sharing with us Wayne..........but lets keep it a forum secret. Loll. I wonder if anyone knows though how the bass were introduced into this body of water.....wonder if the MNR did something here in conjunction with the city of Brampton?? Never the less, great spot to try out and hopefully I will be posting a picture myself.

Big Grin

Hi, did you notice any ants around the pond? I suspect that a lot of these storm ponds have fish because anglers have secretly stocked them with fish caught from lake fishing trips.
07-23-2013, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2013 07:53 PM by ifish.)
[/quote]

Hi, did you notice any ants around the pond? I suspect that a lot of these storm ponds have fish because anglers have secretly stocked them with fish caught from lake fishing trips.

[/quote]

No I did not actually.
07-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Wow, what a surprise! Nice post, I will have to check it out...Secret's safe with me!

When I was younger (a lot younger!) I used to fish in the Howden area, opposite the plaza. The houses across the street from the plaza were not there. Nice bass in the pond that used to be there, wonder if it is the same one...it was a pretty cool place, hiking through trees, people used to cliff jump there as well...
11-04-2013, 05:45 PM
(07-23-2013 07:10 PM)john20000 Wrote:  
(07-23-2013 12:40 PM)ifish Wrote:  Eh Guys,
So you all know I am a newbie to this site.....did the intro thingy and then started browsing the forum.......... and wowo great information! Learning so much about the shore fishing opportunities we have around the city. Anyway, I stumbled across this thread and has luck would have it....during work today I drove by this area and wanted to check out this spot for myself. I did not have time to actually fish as I was technically working. I did managed to survey the body of water and noticed many things that would suggest bass dwelling here as seen in previous post pictures. The pond here has many deep sections with made reefs great for bass to feed along and lots of dead trees in the water on the perimeter providing great coverage for the fish. There is an abundance of algae in the water providing smaller creatures to feed on which in turn Bass feed on them. I think I am going to try this place out in the next few upcoming weekends.......thanks for sharing with us Wayne..........but lets keep it a forum secret. Loll. I wonder if anyone knows though how the bass were introduced into this body of water.....wonder if the MNR did something here in conjunction with the city of Brampton?? Never the less, great spot to try out and hopefully I will be posting a picture myself.

Big Grin

If I'm not mistaken, Norton has a natural Bass population. Work stopped at the quarry in 1966. Over the years birds would have transferred eggs from one body of water to another. This is why we see fish popping up at storm runoffs all across Brampton.

The city of Brampton is building a big recreation centre at the entrance of Norton and they are planning on cleaning up the pond and surrounding area. A few weeks back I met a couple of MNR biologists that were there testing fish for the first time. It sounds like the city is planning on making Norton a small conservation area.