You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Boating allowed at Lake Aquatiane?
05-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Boating allowed at Lake Aquatiane?
Just wondering if anyone knows if it is allowed. Also how deep is the man made lake and where is the deepest area?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2016, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 11:34 AM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Boating allowed at Lake Aquatiane?
Back in the days, boat of any kind was not allowed on the lake. There were signs posted that prohibited swimming and boating. It was a stormwater management lake with potential connection to sewers.

Not sure about now. It is best to contact City of Mississauga and ask directly.

The deepest areas of the lake I found was around the dock area and the concrete outflow area. I remember there were areas deeper than 6 feet. But back in the days, my casting range and my ability to plumb for depth was very limited.

I haven't been back to that lake in a long time. The last time I was there the fishing was a shadow of its former self. I don't bother to fish it now. At one point, it was completely overtaken by 3" Goldfish and 3" juvenile Brown Bullhead. All the Sunfish that we used to catch in unlimited number during my childhood were gone, and did not see any juvenile Bass either.

Back in the days, we could catch 1lb Smallmouth and Largemouth all day off the dock. But this is 20 years ago. That lake was where I learned to fish with many good memories. (Boy! Does time every fly! And I'm not even remotely old!)

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2016, 01:38 PM
I was there 2 times 2-3 years ago. You can always get sunfish by the wooden boardwalk by casting under or out about 5-7 ft from the boardwalk. Not sure if the wooden structure was a recent addition or a fallen tree that floated to the boardwalk area then sunk but IIRC fish like sunken structures for shade/hiding protection.

I mostly caught sunfish as far as I can remember and IIRC a few small maybe 6" catfish.
05-02-2016, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016 02:30 PM by MuskieBait.)
(05-02-2016 01:38 PM)Aquaneko Wrote:  I was there 2 times 2-3 years ago. You can always get sunfish by the wooden boardwalk by casting under or out about 5-7 ft from the boardwalk. Not sure if the wooden structure was a recent addition or a fallen tree that floated to the boardwalk area then sunk but IIRC fish like sunken structures for shade/hiding protection.

I mostly caught sunfish as far as I can remember and IIRC a few small maybe 6" catfish.

I'm not sure where is this wooden boardwalk you speak about. The wooden dock close to the community center has always been there.

Good to know you found some sunfish. The last time I fished at lake, there were still a few sunfish, but it wasn't the same quantity and quality of years past. Perhaps the lake has improved in recent years.

One year, I bought a youth group to the lake and fished from the dock. We decided to have a little fishing derby because the fishing was so good. I remember catching 30+ sunfish within a couple of hours, and my friends were almost going head to head with my count. We didn't even have to move from the dock the entire time. It was bonkers back then.

We never kept anything though. As a stormwater pond, we never trust the water quality, especially when the swimming and boating was prohibited.

Maybe I'll fish there once this summer for some nostalgic feel.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-21-2016, 01:50 PM
This information is very dated(1980-86) as I have not been to that Lake since I was living in the neighborhood when a child. We used to play around the Lake and swim in it. The deepest part of the lake we found was the other end of the Lake from the Dock and bandstand at the big caged overflow. We used to drive from the top of that cage. As for fishing we were able to catch pan fish and bass.