You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Braided line for quantum telescopic rod
07-13-2017, 08:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 08:16 AM by Aquaneko.)
Braided line for quantum telescopic rod
Been using this rod for sometime (couple years and know how to work the drag to not tax the rod bending too much) and absolutely love it. Someone else I know bought it before and somehow broke it/not worked but they must have gotten a lemon or not used to telescopic rods.

Anyways this is the rod I own. http://www.quantumfishing.com/telecast-q...c-fb4.html I think it was spooled with 6# test as it is full capacity on the reel.

On the reel it says the line capacity is YDS/LBS 260/6, 190/8, 130/10

I bought some Power Pro braided a year or two ago when it was on sale at Can.T. I currently have PowerPro 10# test 150yd (2# mono equiv) and 30#test 150yd (8# mono equiv). I don't want to spend anymore or very little money as I like to use what I have already.

Here is a little on how I fish. I sometimes fish close to the shore using the Thrill slip bobber throwing that out as far as I can see where the bobber is clearly but lately I have been using a drop shot rig and throwing it out farther. My reasoning for going with braided is well when throwing the line out far with mono we all know there is that slight stretch that takes about 1second to yank the line if you feel a nibble. As I know, braided line has zero stretch and thus allows for a fast yank. Also my reasoning for going with braided is for the smaller diameter allowing me to cast farther and also have the strength if I tangle into a tree/brush I have a little extra strength to yank the line free. I know I can go with a 2-3 piece 6.6" rod and I have a few spincast fishing rods already (Garcia (pre-Abu) rod, some Shimano rod, bought this Shimano rod a couple years ago https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/shimano-ix4...0188170196 , and also got this Ugly Stick rod http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rods-sp...63867.html ) but I am partial to telescopic rods (own 3, Zebco 'just add water' spincast, SouthBend walmart rod with a Daiwa EL...something Graphite reel) because I can pack it compact for bicycling around and the compact convenience to fit into a bag (stealth as well when you don't want family to know you're fishing Tongue).

My question to all is what braided #test line would work for this rod?

Thank you in advance for the help.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2017, 09:41 AM
RE: Braided line for quantum telescopic rod
For your purposes I would stick with 10-20# braid. Gets you most of the benefits you are looking for and a bit more abrasion resistance. I tend to shy away for the lower weight line for general purpose use due to the fine diameter causing wind knots.

Mono does not take "1 second longer" necessarily but generally does have more stretch when wet. I would recommend a a fluro leader in the 6 pound range about twice the length of the rod spliced with a uni-to-uni rod. You could also go with mono though not quite as good but it does have a reliable track record.
07-13-2017, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 09:46 AM by Aquaneko.)
http://www.powerpro.com/content/powerpro...erpro.html

Here is the PowerPro braided to mono equivlent convertor.
(07-13-2017 09:41 AM)zippyFX Wrote:  For your purposes I would stick with 10-20# braid. Gets you most of the benefits you are looking for and a bit more abrasion resistance. I tend to shy away for the lower weight line for general purpose use due to the fine diameter causing wind knots.

Mono does not take "1 second longer" necessarily but generally does have more stretch when wet. I would recommend a a fluro leader in the 6 pound range about twice the length of the rod spliced with a uni-to-uni rod. You could also go with mono though not quite as good but it does have a reliable track record.

Well maybe it is my technique and distance combined as I have used like I think a 1/2oz weight (not sure as I don't have a pocket scale or know the weight weights in the South Bend multi swivel teardrop weights) and shot that out like 1.5-2 TTC bus length.
07-14-2017, 05:34 PM
My understanding is the thinner the diameter is on the line the farther you can cast. Right now the red Cajun line is I think 6-8# test and not throwing far thus why I was thinking of going with smaller diameter braided line.
07-15-2017, 11:22 PM
A key factor in casting distance is also a full spool. Fill your spool to about an eight of an inch of the top.
07-31-2017, 07:27 AM
(07-13-2017 09:41 AM)zippyFX Wrote:  For your purposes I would stick with 10-20# braid. Gets you most of the benefits you are looking for and a bit more abrasion resistance. I tend to shy away for the lower weight line for general purpose use due to the fine diameter causing wind knots.

Would it be OK to attach the braided line to my current reel which is spooled with red Cajun line? Like if I tied the brakes line securely to the red Cajun line so that I can have longer amount of line using what have already?

I think it would work as I will have a +150yd braied line at 2# mono equiv and should Have ever encounter a 'long distance runner' I would have the extra line.

What is a 'rod spliced uni to uni knot??!' Videos/picture instructions would help as I am a visual/hands on person. Thanks in advance