You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Captain Chancey's Goliath Groupers
10-05-2012, 09:09 AM
Captain Chancey's Goliath Groupers
I found this video to be quite entertaining! Always love to watch someone who really enjoys fishing!

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2012, 12:20 PM
RE: Captain Chancey's Goliath Groupers
Unfortunately, Kazu and I found none on our trip with him...the water was murky due to a recent storm and the tide was all wrong on our day. Sad

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
10-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Lol I saw this not too long ago. When his rod snapped and he started whelping because he was tired I couldn't stop laughing lol.

If only we had those fish in Ontario Tongue

Giuga10
10-05-2012, 09:09 PM
(10-05-2012 12:20 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Unfortunately, Kazu and I found none on our trip with him...the water was murky due to a recent storm and the tide was all wrong on our day. Sad

That's so brutal... and all that $$$$$$$$$$ spent UndecidedUndecided

Sad

10-05-2012, 09:14 PM
"You tell these big boys to Chew On This!"

BWAHAHAH

Love it!

10-05-2012, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 09:33 PM by MuskieBait.)
Not exactly...

New species...

[Image: IMG_2626.jpg]

New species...

[Image: IMG_2629.jpg]

New species...

[Image: IMG_2637.jpg]

Personal best...

[Image: IMG_2639.jpg]

Outstanding new species...

[Image: IMG_2642.jpg]

New species...

[Image: IMG_2648.jpg]

And this is priceless...

[Image: IMG_2646.jpg]

Paid $300 each for the charter...5 new species + a PB...that's about $50 an accomplishment (caught more fish than that on the day)...it took me more money than $50 to catch my first...

1) bowfin (7x ferry fare @ $6.50/trip + 3x dozen worms @ $3/dozen)

2) northern hogsucker (4x trip to the stream @ $20/trip)

3) longnose gar ($150+ in gas from 4 trips)

4) cisco ($90 in gas + bait + parking from 3 trips)

...It's all relative Wink Actually, most of my species cost more than $50 each to catch...unless I caught them by luck.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Oh, I thought you guys had gotten skunked or something. THAT SNOOOK omg!!!

That really puts everything into perspective, honestly I wouldn't even have thought about it that way Smile. Nice!

10-05-2012, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 11:19 PM by MuskieBait.)
Well, that's just called "When life deals you lemons, make lemonade." Tongue

We gave Goliath Grouper fishing for about an hour but nothing was going. Ben saw that I really want to get on some fish so he took us to an eel grass flats and that's where we caught Sand Weakfish, Jack Crevalle, Ladyfish and lots of Speckled Seatrout. I must have caught a dozen Speckled Seatrout.

We then went to get more bait and ran into some Cownose Ray that we could use for Goliath bait...but they were every difficult to snag (we're using them for bait so we're trying to snag some for bait)...and the one and only ray we snagged came off the hook...so we only had a Spanish Mackerel and a Jack Crevalle for bait.

Instead, we went to the beach to net some white bait but had a hard time...so we went back to the bridge to grab some bait. Finally, we fished on a wreck where there might be a Goliath. We did get one good hit and run where the fish rocked us after a 5min fight. Then we fished smaller baits for groupers landing 4 groupers and had many more that rocked us. We also had the Jack Crevalle on the Goliath rod and that's what we caught the 12lb Gag Grouper with.

With about 1.5 hours left, Ben suggested that we fish the mangroves on the way back and that's where we caught my Common Snook and Kazu hooked a 24" Speckled Seatrout.

Back at the dock, Ben said there are lots of little Mangrove Snappers and we used the remaining bait as cut bait and caught a couple of Mangrove Snappers. We were also trying to get Kazu onto one of the snook hanging out near the dock but they just wouldn't go.

Sometimes, when the game plan isn't working, you gotta change it up and try to salvage a trip. It's good we did that instead of trying to catch a Goliath on a poor condition day...

That's how I roll. Wink

Malama o ke kai

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (10-06-2012)