You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Carp Fishing Tackle in Toronto
04-18-2013, 11:15 PM
RE: Carp Fishing Tackle in Toronto
Here's a few links that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttEbnXGRtlg

http://bigcarpnews.com/web/author/iainsorrell/

http://www.ontariocarpfishing.com/

PM me with any questions...

"I am, Sir, a Brother of the Angle".

Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2013, 06:43 AM
(04-18-2013 11:15 PM)Redmire Wrote:  Here's a few links that might help:

You forgot this one:

http://www.cafepress.ca/+ontario-carp-an...ar-panties

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2013, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 11:01 AM by angler1.)
MuskieBait,

Thanks for your detailed post. I am impressed with your carp catches! Is that the Toronto Islands in the background? I intend to fish for carp mainly in the local Markham ponds, like Mount Joy, Milne dam and Toogood, so I expect they will be about 5-15lb. I am suffering from information overload, right now. I don't need all that fancy equipment but had settled on using either artificial, buoyant corn or bolies tied on a hair rig. I believe that the inline bolt rig would make hooking easier.
(04-18-2013 03:44 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Home made bait needles are simple and cheap:

http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...it-Needles
Thanks, OldTimer, I just made one, like yours.
04-20-2013, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 01:56 PM by MuskieBait.)
Yeah, that's the Islands.

For those small ponds/lakes, you don't need all that crazy tackle.

Inline bolt rig is good to use in deeper water and you can get it out further. But you can make a simple bolt rig with a bell sinker, a couple of swivels and a bead.

You really don't need all those lead clip and slider (with some odd exceptions). You can do-it-yourself a lot of the times.

Stealth sinkers -You want a sinker that look more natural...like a pebble or a rock...so get some sand, coat your bell sinker or egg sinker with a bit of epoxy or super glue, and roll the sinker in the sand. Voila...stealth sinkers.

Lead clip - You want a bolt rig system where you can switch up sinkers of different weights...use a small snap swivel. Or you can adapt one of those safety pin type spinner and use the safety pin mechanism.

Running rig - That's just a simple carolina rig...really...

Flat side sinkers - I'm stealing this from Eli Tongue You want a flat sided sinker for bolt rig? Just take a bell sinker, grab a hammer...and hammer the sides flat! You want a flat sinker for running rig? Again, grab an egg sinker, a nail that fits into the hollow tube inside the sinker, oil up the nail and insert it into the tube of the sinker, then hammer the egg sinker flat. Remove the nail when done (the nail is used to keep that hollow tube in the lead. Otherwise, when you hammer the lead flat, you'll hammer shut that hollow!) Simple!

Try to understand the mechanics of the hair rig. All it boils down to is the way the hook is positioned in the carp's mouth and how the hook point sticks into the lip when the carp blow the bait back. At that point, the carp gets scared and run. You don't need those fancy weights a lot of the times. A bell sinking on a running bait rig can do just the same. Even an egg sinker will suffice on a modified carolina rig.

What I would suggest is just to spend time on the water experimenting. Read about all these rigging and then try to do-it-yourself by adapting the concept of the rigs with your existing tackle (any types of hooks and sinkers you have)...and then fish them. Once you experimented and get some results, you'll then understand why and if you do need the fancy tackle.

I'm not saying the fancy tackle isn't needed at all. There are times I'm fishing wishing I have some fancy tackle...but then the majority of the times I do just as well with bell sinkers, egg sinkers, and simple floats.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
04-20-2013, 02:40 PM
You may find this helpful too.......

http://www.fishforcarp.com/html/hairrigs.htm

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-27-2013, 11:29 AM
(04-20-2013 10:58 AM)angler1 Wrote:  I am suffering from information overload, right now. I don't need all that fancy equipment but had settled on using either artificial, buoyant corn or bolies tied on a hair rig. I believe that the inline bolt rig would make hooking easier.

If you are not sight fishing for them, focus on building a hair rig setup that works, before worrying about the bajiliion carp rigs that are out there.

You will get excellent self hooking rates by ensuring that your hair rig line is extremely supple, but the hook link line is a lot stiffer. Simple mechanics will allow the hair and bait to be blown out but leave the hook line in place.

Obviously, my set up is predominantly for pop up rigs, but I have adapted the hair rig and hook length into a short section that I can add onto whatever base rig I am using.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
04-26-2015, 01:04 PM
All Nation Fishing inc 1816 Jane street Toronto 416 241 3474
We have All the carp baits you want + accessories

Attached File(s) Image(s)

05-21-2015, 07:01 AM
I have lots of carp baits , feeders, baitrunner reels, carp rods, pods
From Carp Zoom and other companies
416 241 3474
1816 Jane street Toronto

Attached File(s) Image(s)

05-25-2015, 06:59 PM
How do you guys store your hair rigs?

A NEW ANGLER SHARING HIS CATCHES WITH EVERYONE
05-25-2015, 09:56 PM
A portion of swimming noodle with a slice down the side (all the way through to the middle). Stick the swivel in the slot and wrap the line tightly and the put the hook in the noodle. This is how I store all my leaders (catfish, quick strike, etc...). You can also use a round store bought leader holder.