You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Castable Spinner Rigs (crawler and minnow harness style)
02-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Castable Spinner Rigs (crawler and minnow harness style)
As an avid walleye angler, I can tell you that the "Lindy Rig" or similar style spinner rigs and crawler harnesses can be absolutely amazing when trolled in open water, around structure or off the reefs.

But, as a shore angler, your missing out on using these rigs effectively because you simply cannot cast them, or get them down effectively in current.

Also being an angler that constantly tinkers with gear and different techniques, I picked up this little gem some time ago. It's totally simple and I was actually kind of frustrated that I never thought of this in the first place, lol.

1. Snell a hook of your choice. You can use various snells but I like pass through the eye, some out about 3" holding it with your other hand(thumb and index finger). Wrap the line in a tidy snell 7 times, keeping it tight. Come back with the other end of your line, through the eye of the hook the opposite way it went in. Dip in water or lubricate with saliva, and since it down slowly, keeping it nice and tight. Add one little dab of super glue, and keep everything tight for a minute while it dries.

2. Add your beads of choice. I use 5-6mm beads most of the time and they can be purchased at any online tackle store. Or, go to a craft store or walmart, where they are much cheaper and have better selections. Choose colors according to what/where you are fishing. I add one red bead, then four to 6 of my other color (or you can mix it up however you want) Make sure the beads are one bead longer than your spinner blade to allow it to spin easily, and not hit the hook.

3.Now, add a quick change clevis or with your blade of choice. Size and color again depending on what/where you are fishing.

4.Add one or two more beads on top of the clevis.

5.Then, tie your rig to a barrel swivel. I like to use a palomar knot because of simplicity and strength.

6.Now grab a seperate piece of line, about 2ft long, and tie one end to the other end of your barrel swivel. Add one bead, then an egg sinker (whatever weight you wanna use, depending on depth). Add one more bead on top of the egg sinker. Tie the other end of your line to another barrel swivel using another palomar knot, or your knot of choice.

DONE!!!

A few things to consider....

Line choice is highly depending on personal preference and what species you are fishing. Also, the thinner the diameter, the easier your blade will spin. But you need to find a balance here. Also, the bottom structure may change your line choice as well.

The smaller the blade, the easier it will spin, and the slower it can spin on a slower retrieve.

Hooks, again all depend on the situation, but I like #2 octopus hooks all around. Various manufactures make good quality hooks.

Bait can be live bait, or plastics, again, all depending on your preferences and species being fished. Keep in mind that your casting from shore, so using a live minnow is not gonna work well. It'll be dead after the first cast, and or have already fallen off in the impact of casting, lol. So I like using plastics such as Berkley Gulp Alive minnows, crawlers or leeches.

Hope this helps! I'll add a few pics when I can
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2012, 02:41 PM
RE: Castable Spinner Rigs (crawler and minnow harness style)
One thing you might think about this rig is, why can't I just use the spinner rig, and simply add split shots to the mainline???

Well you can, lol.

Problem is it won't cast as far, because the castable rig has a built in weight transfer system.

Good thing about the split shot style would be you can alter the weights used very quick and easily.

Both have their respected benefits...
02-15-2012, 03:50 PM
a few supplies...

[Image: tacklecraft2012004.jpg]

Starting the snell...

[img][Image: tacklecraft2012008.jpg][/img]

clean snell

[img][Image: tacklecraft2012009.jpg][/img]

Sinch tight after moistening, add a drop of superglue and let dry...

[img][Image: tacklecraft2012010.jpg][/img]

Get your supplies ready...

[img][Image: tacklecraft2012020.jpg][/img]

Beads, quick change clevis and #3 colorado blade added...

[img][Image: tacklecraft2012029.jpg][/img]

Tie your additional line with barrel swivels, 2 beads and egg sinker...

[img][Image: tacklecraft2012042.jpg][/img]

Tie to the spinner rig and trim all your tag lines, ready to fish...

[img][Image: tacklecraft2012043.jpg][/img]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
Frank81 (02-15-2012), MichaelAngelo (02-16-2012)
02-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the detailed pictures.
I've been fishing for YEARS! and one thing about this sport is I never seem to stop learning.

Thanks again.
03-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I have used Erie Dearers (not sure if spelled right) from shore and have caught a few eye's with them with a twister tail attached to the hook.They work very well casting from shore alot of action and come in different sizes so you can get them deep.I also tried worm harnesses with a inline sinker ahead of them but didn't really stick with it long enough and got skunked lol but you can get it deep from casting from shore.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to walleyepro1 for this post:
manitoubass2 (03-14-2012)
03-14-2012, 11:30 AM
(03-13-2012 09:29 PM)walleyepro1 Wrote:  I have used Erie Dearers (not sure if spelled right) from shore and have caught a few eye's with them with a twister tail attached to the hook.They work very well casting from shore alot of action and come in different sizes so you can get them deep.I also tried worm harnesses with a inline sinker ahead of them but didn't really stick with it long enough and got skunked lol but you can get it deep from casting from shore.

Yep, those work well too.

They are still not a typical spinner rig though, more like a subdivision of spinner baits, lol.

Thanks for your input!!!
03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the tip. I might try that for walleye this weekend.