You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Catfishing Dilema
08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Catfishing Dilema
Hi all,

As some of you may remember I have been doing a lot of catfishing in the evenings due to fishing time constraints. I really enjoy it but I have dilemma. I seem to be deeply hooking the catfish, forcing me to cut my leader and let the fish go with one or two hooks ingested. For catfish I am a catch and release guy so I am wondering how I could stop this.

My general rig is a leader with a treble at the end (for either dough or dip bait) which are usually of size 2. A second hook ( a circle hook) on the leader is usually 2 circle hook. In this hook I usually impale a beheaded and de-tailed large minnow for fresh bait (usually about 4 inches of fish on the hook when I'm done). At time I use to circles replace the treble. I am targeting largest fish hoping to get to 10 pounds. I am willing to sacrifice quantity for size.

Last night in an hour and half I caught one at 4 lbs and another one at 4 1/2 lbs. I had a couple of other good bites but my guess is that they were smaller and failed to take the bait.

The first fish had swallowed the treble so I cut the leader and set him free. The second fish ate the treble and worked it's way up to the circle hook and ate that as well.

I seem to remember when I was running a two circle hook leader by deep hook rate was about 50% while the rest were hooked properly in the corner of the mouth.

I guess I can always go larger but then I may loose the bite all together.

Anyway any suggestions on how to prevent deep hooking would be appreciated.

Note to OT: I got the long rod you recommended. It works great casting out my 3-4 OZ weights.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2013, 01:43 PM
RE: Catfishing Dilema
One way to make sure the cat doesn't take both hooks in is to use a single hook.

A great way to make sure the cat doesn't take the hook in deep is to set the hook as soon as they hit the bait.

I use quite large size hook when using dead baits for channel cats, and set the hook immediately when it is being hit. I've never deep hooked a cat this season but haven't caught so many in that time but most were 5-15lb range.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mcfly for this post:
zippyFX (08-15-2013)
08-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Must be nice to have big cats close by Smile 2-4 pounds are average in the Ottawa river (near Ottawa) you hear of the occasional 10 lb and the rare 15 lb ones being landed.

I also leave the rod perched with loose drag while I work on other rigging (knowing I'm going to loose the current one to a snag Smile ) Sometimes I use a bite detector or bells if I can not be right by the rod.

I thought the convention was to let the cat run with the bait before setting, though.

I'll consider going to a single hook but I did get the impression I was getting more bites because of the added scent.

Thanks
08-15-2013, 02:28 PM
When the fishes are always deeply hooked, I will change to a bigger hook.
Which dip bait are you using?
08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
I never use trebles when bait fishing for any species............. way too much damage to the fish.

I don't seem to miss hooking many channel cats (if they bite)........... I use just a single large circle hook with a 2' line to a swivel, and then a heavy egg sinker above that.

Hooks used are usually 2/0 or 4/0 which are exposed pretty good - I hook the cut bait along its edge or on a corner making sure it's always through some of the skin......

I never open my bail, but I do have a VERY beefy rod holder I made from steel pipe and 3/8" steel round bar.

..... plus they usually hook themselves a bit as they first move away, and it's usually in the edge or corner of the mouth.

...................I always set the hook again with at least one violent "eye crossing" jerk.

So guess my advice is to try a much larger circle hook.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Hookset with a circle hook?
08-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Yes....... I always set the hook........ even with circle hooks... don't you?

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
08-15-2013, 10:09 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013 10:11 PM by zippyFX.)
(08-15-2013 02:28 PM)onwind Wrote:  When the fishes are always deeply hooked, I will change to a bigger hook.
Which dip bait are you using?

I have good luck with these Dips & Doughs:
- Catfish Charlie® Extra-Sticky Dip Bait
- Catfish Charlie® Catfish Dough Bait
- Bill Dance Advantage Dough Bait Nuggets

I have not had luck with:
- Fishbites Yeh Monn!® Freshwater Catfish Bait: Though I have not been persistent with them...

Terminal tackle:
This best thing I have found for the sticky dips & doughs are:
- Team Catfish® FURRY THaNG Treble Hooks: I may switch to the non-treble versions; The loopy stuff really holds allot and holds it well during casting. Get many uses out of each.
- Bill Dance Advantage Spring Treble Hooks: Better the cheap trebles with springs the springs are fixed and durable.

I have not had good luck with dip worms.
08-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Like catfish, they bite hard.
08-17-2013, 01:02 AM
(08-15-2013 05:18 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Yes....... I always set the hook........ even with circle hooks... don't you?

Here's a question... fundamental and probrably a stupid question... but I've always wondered.

If the fish is running and taking drag, is a "jerk" going to set the hook any more than it already is? Assuming the drag on your reel is perfect (no sticky startup and constant pressure) will pulling quickly back create more force on the line?

[Image: logobgs.png]